How to request refund from UPS. We use UPS for shipping through Shopify's account/negotiated rates.

Solved
JennLodiBlooms
Tourist
7 0 1

Hello! Anyone familiar with how to request a refund from UPS through Shopify? Like many businesses on this platform, we use Shopify's account/negotiated rates with UPS so we cannot seem to make a refund request with UPS directly. We have recently had several failed deliveries and would like to recoup our shipping costs. Thank you.

0 Likes
Eunice
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 39 35

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @JennLodiBlooms

My name is Eunice from the social care team at Shopify. Thank you for posting! I'm happy you brought this up as Shopify Shipping is extremely popular with our merchants.

To request a refund from UPS you need to file a claim with our Shopify Support team. You can find more infromation on that hereHowever, before you do this, I advise you to take a look below to check you have an eligible claim.

UPS consider the following to be eligible claims:

Damaged package: If the packaging of a shipment has been damaged, the merchant is eligible for a label claim. When the packaging is undamaged but the contents are damaged, the merchant is not eligible for a claim as it's on the sender for not having correctly packaged the product.

Lost Package: If a shipment seems to be lost in transit, or is marked as delivered but the customer does not have the package.

The following are considered to be uneligible claims by UPS:

Covid-19: As of March 26th, 2020, UPS has suspended Late Delivery claims due to an inability to guarantee delivery times due to COVID-19 for any label purchased after that date.

Border/customs delays: Delays at the border or due to customs are typically the result of a product being mislabelled or having incorrect information on the package.

Prohibited items: If a package contains one or more prohibited item(s), the package is not eligible for a claim.

Restricted commodities: Packages containing restricted commodities are ineligible for label claims. Restricted commodities are generally based on the shipping destination country's laws. These can vary from country to country, so the merchant should be checking what is restricted when shipping their product.

Perishable commodities: Under the UPS Terms of Service; We cannot file claims related to any damage or late delivery arising from the transportation of Perishable Commodities.

Once you've checked your claim is eligible you can go ahead and contact Shopify Support. We will need some information from you in order to file the claim, I have listed what we need below so you can get a head start:

1. Your phone number.
  2. Your email address.
  3. Name of receivers.
  4. Phone numbers of receivers.
  5. The email addresses of receivers.
  6. Tracking numbers.
  7. Description of product(s) being claimed and the value of each item being claimed.
  8. Shipping labels costs

I must make you aware that we are unable to make any guarantees that UPS will refund you. Nor are we able to give you an estimated time frame. What I can assure is that a member of the Shopify team will reach out to you once we hear back from UPS.

If, for any reason you are unable to connect with Shopify Support, please respond here and I will be happy to move this to email to assist you.

Cheers!

Eunice | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

JennLodiBlooms
Tourist
7 0 1

Thank you. This has been helpful.

0 Likes
StevenM
Tourist
5 0 2

Shopify - Please update UPS refund eligibility post Covid. Overnight deliveries that are delivered late should be eligible for refund.

0 Likes