How to select default shipping for creating labels in bulk or disable USPS Parcel Select Ground

Tourist
10 0 4

SHopify recently added USPS Parcel Select Ground. I ship 95% of my packages USPS Priority Mail and have a pretty high volume. 30-40 orders a day. Ever since Parcel Select Ground was added, when I create shipping labels in bulk it defaults all my orders to Parcel Select Ground.  The difference in price is only 10 cents but the few packages I did ship Parcel Select took 10-14 days to arrive vs 2-3 days.

I contacted support and they said there is no way to set a default shipping method. It will default to he cheapest available option Shopify offers. 

I can create 20 labels at a time but then have to go through and change each one to Priority Mail and it is taking a LOT of time.

2 Likes
Tourist
10 0 4

Nadda? :-(

0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 4

The only work around I have found is to process one label selecting Priority Mail then the rest will default to Priority Mail but it will default back to Ground Select later in the day. 

0 Likes
Excursionist
40 0 6

I'm with ya man. I posted something similar. I have no idea why that service was added. Why would anybody use that to save 20 cents. It's just a huge PITA to work around. But my guess is that the response (if any) will be the usual... 'Gee, we have this great app you can buy to avoid that.'

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 4

I agree. You should be able to select a default. I've accidentally selected the new parcel select many times because they forced this onto everyone's workflow. Then I have to void the labels and make it again with Priority. A few cents is not worth the extremely long transit. The Parcel Select is ONLY beneficial for certain box size/weight x distance. 95% of the time it is not worth it. 

1 Like
1 0 1

Thank you for posting this ... I'm having the exact same issue. Hopefully Shopify addresses this ASAP.

1 Like
Tourist
10 0 4

Ill do 10k orders this year and this is a major problem. Really a PITA. No response from Shopify.  

0 Likes
1 0 1

I cannot believe Shopify has still yet to fix their extremely unstable and unreliable "default shipping" automation.

Just last week, I lost over $1400 in shipping charges because Shopify decided to default all of our shipping options to the MOST EXPENSIVE shipping option available via USPS. We typically ship out via First Class or Priority Mail, but on a completely random Wednesday afternoon, Shopify admin decided to default all our orders (40-50+) to Priority Mail Express, which costs x10 the rates for First Class or Priority Mail. By the time our office in NY had noticed this issue, our fulfillment team in CA had already dropped off the first batch of packages at USPS with the Priority Mail Express labels, causing us to lose an insane amount of money over a situation that Shopify's flawed "default shipping" had caused. 

After speaking over the phone and via email this past week, the only response that I've received from Shopify support is that they have NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED. I have tried to be extremely patient and understanding as I know that Shopify support is just the middleman between us customers and their development team, but the explanation that I received (shared below) is absolutely trash. The fact that the default option "typically" (but not always!) defaults to the most recent shipping method purchased is not a valid explanation. Our website has been using First Class Package and Priority Mail since we opened three years ago, and have never ONCE purchased Priority Mail Express in bulk. Furthermore, Shopify's statement that the default is typically the most cheapest option doesn't even apply to my situation. How in the world is it okay that it defaulted to the most EXPENSIVE option and Shopify takes no responsibility for the situation? I am aware that our fulfillment center should have been much more cautious and admit the problem on our end, but their lack of a legitimate response has me fuming about the situation.

"To clarify, there is no technical issue with the default settings for bulk shipping labels. It is working as expected. Although it typically defaults to what is chosen by the customer or what was purchased last as this is not always the case. This is why there is the option to view and change the default shipping service when going through the bulk shipping label purchase workflow. Currently, there is no way to chose the default option."

The only thing that Shopify offered was "I understand the financial loss you've experienced. And, we value your business. I'd like to offer a one-month subscription credit of $79 as an act of goodwill". How does $79 compare to the $1400 that we've lost? 

I'm furious and want to warn all future Shopify members of this potential issue. Absolutely unbelievable. 

1 Like
Tourist
10 0 4

Ironically it seems to have been fixed for me. It no longer defaults every day back to Ground Select and stays with whatever shipping method was last used.

0 Likes
1 0 0

I have the same exact issue now.  This has happened to me about once or twice a month.  It is very frustrating and time consuming.  Of course, support never has any idea why it happens.  

0 Likes