How to set shipping cost if it depends on weight and size of the package?

HuyNguyen416
2 0 0

I am working with a fulfillment (3PL) company who can deliver to US addresses at a flat rate, but when it comes to international orders it will vary in shipping cost.

So the problem is, if I provide international shipping option to my customers, how can I accurately set the shipping cost upfront? I wouldn't really know what the cost will be unless I ask my 3PL to calculate it for me in on the spot which would be an inefficient way to go if I have to do this for all international orders. How would I even manage this if the shipping is to be calculated prior to my customer paying? I can't just say "your shipping cost will vary, we will charge you more if it costs more" or something like that.

So what should I do to make sure I provide accurate shipping costs?

0 Likes
ocoulombe
Shopify Partner
42 5 6

Hi @HuyNguyen416,

Shopify offers Carrier Calculated Shipping for advanced Shopify plans.

You can add it to any plans for about 20$ per month or for free if you get an annual plan.

The shipping carriers such as FedEx and UPS will require some information about your products. Usually the dimensions and weight.

So make sure to write down those informations for all your products.

Once you've setup an account with a Shopify supported carrier, you will be able to connect them to your store and get live calculated rates for your customers.

They carrier will calculate the cost of the shipment and charge it directly to your customer so you don't overpay for shipping!

Hope it helps!

Shopify Partner
Hire me! olivier@letmetalk.ai
Olivier Coulombe-Raymond
0 Likes
HuyNguyen416
2 0 0

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the reply. Can you kindly explain how Shopify's Carrier Calculated Shipping work if I am using a 3PL service to handle fulfilling and shipping of my products? In other words, my supplier would manufacture the the product and then ship it to the 3PL warehouse, and in turn they will ship it to the customers.

The more I think about it, it sounds like I need to work with my 3PL to discuss how the shipping rates can be managed since they are the ones working with the couriers?

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
ocoulombe
Shopify Partner
42 5 6

Hi @HuyNguyen416 ,

It sure would be the best idea to discuss with your 3PL to see what their rate is.

Otherwise, the carrier calculated shipping could be set to ship from the 3PL so that the calculated rates are the most accurate price they should get.

The money would be in your pocket and be a carrier estimated cost of the shipping.

So it would be the closest to the actual rate you could get!

Depending on your 3PL rates obviously

Shopify Partner
Hire me! olivier@letmetalk.ai
Olivier Coulombe-Raymond
0 Likes