How to set up shipping in Shopify with Oberlo

Highlighted
2 0 0

I am struggling with setting up the shipping criteria in Shopify.  No experience with this.  I am going to use Oberlo and plan to ship only to Canada and US.  We are located in Northern Ontario, Canada.

Is there anyone who has already done this in a similar situation?  My products are pet related items.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Laurie

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1249 76 274

Hey, Laurie. 

Peter here from Shopify Support!

When it comes to setting up rates for Oberlo products you'll want to keep an eye on the shipping options your suppliers offer. It's best to only pick products that offer e-packet as this is either free or relatively cheap way for your suppliers to ship their products. 

Once you've looked over the type of shipping offered, you'll then need to create manual shipping rates that fall within the price range of the e-packet shipping rates. In most cases, these rates range from $1-5 USD so creating a manual priced based rate for $5 would be a good starting place. Oberlo has a document here that outlines the different type of shipping methods you'll see from your suppliers. They also have a great guide here that outlines how to set up rates within your Shopify admin. 

Your first route can be to create a "staircase" like effect in your shipping rates. By this I mean, you have your first rate as $0 - $4.99 which costs $5. From there, your next rate would be $5 - $9.99 for $8, which would repeat all the way up the maximum you wish to impose. Keep in mind that you'll need to do this for each "zone" to ensure that all countries you ship to have applicable rates. If you're wanting to only offer products to the United States & Canada, then you would have two shipping zones (one for each region) and ensure the rest of the countries aren't included. We have a helpful guide here that outlines how you can create your shipping zones should you need it! I've also whipped up an example of how this would look in your admin:

Another route you could go is including the cost of shipping in the product price. If you chose to go this route, then you can create a free shipping rate for your customers which effectively takes care of the shipping rate predicament. If you'd like to go this route, then feel free to read over this guide here as it outlines how to create a free shipping rate. 

Regardless of which route you go, it's imperative that you know what your suppliers will charge you for shipping as this will greatly influence how you price your flat rates. Another thing to keep an eye on is including the shipping times in the shipping rate names as seen above. This is a super easy way to let your customers know just how long they should expect to wait for their product which will help reduce the emails you receive. 

While you're here, I'd also recommend reading over Oberlo's blog posts as they are fine-tuned to helping you succeed. Here are a few that I'd suggest reading over.

Another great tool that you can utilize is Shopifys BFCM toolbox as this will help ensure you're ready for the upcoming holiday sales!

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes