How to setup Shopify Payments as a private seller?

Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi!

So I just got my first order worth ~50$, and now I'm urged to complete the account setup to receive my payment - "To receive money owed to you, we need a bit more information about your business".

But i haven't started at business yet, as i would like to try my idea first... How can i complete the account setup as a private seller and get paid?

Regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1421 140 392

Hey there, @instasuccess 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

That is a really great question. In this case, if you are unable to complete the set up of Shopify Payments (if the information being requested of you not possible to provide such as a legal business name or organization number) then you will need to refund this order. We will be unable to payout the funds from this order without proper registration with our gateway. 

What you can do is set up with a third party gateway, PayPal would be a good example of this. You can check out some others here. You can then re-draft the order for the customer and collect the funds once you have the third party gateway set up. You can learn all about creating a draft order here

All the Best,

Bo

Bo - Social Care @ Shopify

Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

@Bo wrote:

Hey there, @instasuccess 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

That is a really great question. In this case, if you are unable to complete the set up of Shopify Payments (if the information being requested of you not possible to provide such as a legal business name or organization number) then you will need to refund this order. We will be unable to payout the funds from this order without proper registration with our gateway. 

What you can do is set up with a third party gateway, PayPal would be a good example of this. You can check out some others here. You can then re-draft the order for the customer and collect the funds once you have the third party gateway set up. You can learn all about creating a draft order here

All the Best,

Bo

Hmm this is not really the answer i was hoping for... Is there even a way to collect card-payments with a third party gateway without having a company?

I tried QuickPay but they also require a company to complete the agreement with whir card acquirer (Clearhaus). If so, what are my options as a private merchant? PayPal & Bitcoin?

Regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1421 140 392

I am sorry to hear that. PayPal would definitely be a good option for you. Most credit card processors do require an individual to have at least registered as a business to make sure the transactions being processed are all above board and legal - allowing individuals to process credit card details is a business risk most processors would not be comfortable taking. 

All the Best,

Bo

Bo - Social Care @ Shopify

Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

@Bo wrote:

I am sorry to hear that. PayPal would definitely be a good option for you. Most credit card processors do require an individual to have at least registered as a business to make sure the transactions being processed are all above board and legal - allowing individuals to process credit card details is a business risk most processors would not be comfortable taking. 

All the Best,

Bo

Thanks for this answer. But as far as i know PayPal also requires a business? "To use PayPal on your store, you should upgrade your personal account to a business account. Most functions and tools provided by PayPal for business owners are only available when using a business account." - https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/payments/paypal/set-up-paypal

0 Likes