I refunded a customer but a week later they claim that their credit card was closed. They're asking for another refund

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello guys,

As the title says, we refunded someone through Shopify. Without going into too much detail, we suspected that this customer was placing a fraudulent order, and we refunded the purchase back to the orginal credit card. Now the customer is emailing us, telling us that he canceled that card and he would like another refund.

It seems very likely this person is trying to commit fraud, and but I want to make sure that everything we are doing is right. I'm currently asking him to ask the credit company that he just cancelled the card from, and work it out with them. 

I'm trying to avoid a chargeback, especially on a refunded order. Can you guys help? Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

Hey, Osamah! 

Peter here from Shopify Support!

To provide some context; If a refund is processed to a credit card that has been canceled, then the funds will still be sent to the company that held the account. If the account was issued a different card, then the bank would redirect those funds accordingly, however, if the account was fully closed, then the amount would typically be issued in the form of a paper cheque. 

All in all, this is something that your customer will need to speak directly to their credit card company for. As long as you have successfully refunded the order in the admin, then the issuing bank will see this and won't initiate a chargeback as they know the funds were returned. 

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0

Thanks Peter! I told our customer this information and I will reach out to you if we need any help!

0 Likes