Im getting the gateway error code "testmode_charges_only"

DawsJ
Visitor
3 0 0

I there, I just finished designing my first Shopify store and I am running into some issues. After I got the store the way I wanted it, I decided to do a couple test purchases. In test mode it worked fine when I used the test credit card number. However, just to make sure it actually works for customers, I decided to do a real test with my real debit card. When I hit the payment button it threw me an error that said ""Your payment could not be processed at this time, please try again in a few minutes". To make sure it wasn't just my card I asked a friend to try to buy something and his card got the same message. I went to the abandoned orders and found that I was getting a "testmode_charges_only" gateway code. This puzzled me because I turned off test mode in my payment settings. I do have Paypal payments activated and I confirmed that it is working through a test purchase.I am using the theme Brooklyn, and I did do a slight change to the code to add a custom input box on the product pages. I sell 3d printed custom signs. My url is https://optic-shock.com/

Replies 5 (5)

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey there, @DawsJ 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

I am sorry to hear that you are running into this problem. It could be a matter of your browser needing its cache cleared after processing payments while in test mode. You can clear your cache as per this guide.

Although, as you have mentioned, your friend was also able to replicate this issue. From my experience, this can often be due to an account's payouts being disabled whilst the account is undergoing a review by our banking partners. Can you take a look at your admin to see if there are any notifications? Generally speaking, if there's a review being performed on your account there will be a red banner in your admin either requesting that you upload some documents or that you reach out to Shopify Support directly. Please follow the prompts on these banners to swiftly proceed with this review to get your payments enabled again. 

As this is your first post in the Shopify Community I would like to welcome you! Welcome! I would recommend reading our guide on getting support from the Shopify Community here so you are best equipped when looking for support through these forum boards. I would also recommend taking a look at our introductory guide to Shopify themes here in our Help Center. The Help Center is packed with brilliant resources on everything Shopify related to help you get started. 

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

DawsJ
Visitor
3 0 0

Hey, I don't fully understand what you are saying. Are you saying the the browser that I attempted to buy the product on need its cache removed or the page that I'm building my store on?

Also how do I check my admin for notifications?

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey again! 

Sorry for any confusion. Please try clearing the cache on the browser in which you are making the purchase on. 

If you log in to your Shopify account on the desktop or mobile app, any notifications that require your attention will be on the home page of the admin. They most commonly appear like this:

All the Best,

Bo

DawsJ
Visitor
3 0 0

Ok I see what you mean now. I have two prompts on my home.

The first one reads

"Your Shopify Payments account is on hold

Your store can’t accept new orders with Shopify Payments."

The second one reads:

"Your payouts from Shopify Payments are on hold while we review your account

Contact Support for next steps on this standard review. This hold does not prevent your customers from checking out."

How do I get my Shopify Payments account off hold?

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

In these cases, it is always best to follow the prompts on those notifications and click on the button to contact Shopify Support. I will reach out to you via email to authenticate you as the owner of the account. I will need for you to respond to my email confirming the myshopify.com address of your store and I will be able to escalate this to our Risk team. It will take 2-3 business days for this escalation to be completed. 

Speak Soon,

Bo