Implications of using "unsupported" 3rd party payment gateway

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello, 

I am sure this has been asked and answered before but unable to find it. 

My business has a legal entity in country A and country B of which I am major shareholder of.

The business primarily sells to customers in country B 

The 3rd payment gateway Stripe I have connected to Shopify store is available in country A but not country B. It did connect when I clicked on the payment gateway directory listing as shown below

unavailablepaymentgateway.png 

I am abiding by local taxation, filing and revenue regulations of both countries. 

The simple question is; am I breaking any of shopify rules or doing anything in the grey area which I shouldn't be doing?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1110 108 276

Hey there, @sami1255 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

Thank you for getting in touch regarding this, it is a really great question. When it comes to using a payment gateway it is important to choose one that is available to merchants in the country which you are operating your business from. Regardless of where your customers are shopping from you should be using a gateway which is available to merchants where you are personally running your store from.

I hope that clears things up for you.

Bo

Bo - Social Care @ Shopify

Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Thanks @Bo 

I am not sure if I understood the term "personally running the store from". 

I am personally running the store from Country A - though my products, my customers, my inventory, marketing is all catered for Country B. 

Country B doesn't provide the best payment gateway for my future needs. In the future Country A shall remain the "head quarters" as we expand to other markets. Most importantly the same payment gateway is intended to be used for all subsequent countries. This is to ensure efficient cross border accounting and keeping the books consistently. 

If indeed users are only meant to only use payment gateways of Country B - then why did it allow me to connect a payment gateway that wasn't offered in that country?

It is quite important shopify clearly put things in black and white. I don't want to kick start only to find out it goes against its TOS. 

Many thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1110 108 276

This is an accepted solution.

So long as you are operating your store from a country that supports the payment gateway you have chosen you will not be kicked off that payment gateway. I would recommend reaching out to the payment gateway in question also to make sure it does not go against any of their Terms of Service. 

All the Best,

Bo

Bo - Social Care @ Shopify

Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Okay that makes sense. 

Many thanks for your help 

1 Like