Integrating with FedEx Freight (LTL)

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hello,

I'm working with a client who ships most products via FedEx freight (LTL) due to their weight--most orders are over 150 lbs. I'm having a devil of a time trying to get real time quotes from their FedEx account sent to the Shopify checkout page, since the default Shopify integration with FedEx is only for Ground, not Freight. I would love some help setting this up. Here's what I know so far:

• The Shopify API key and secret for the "private app" are used for generating a new carrier service via the Carrier Service API endpoint. I've done this successfully.
  • Creating the service didn't require any of my FedEx credentials--just the public endpoint--so I don't see how it could pull rates from my FedEx account. What am I missing here?
  • Does this endpoint integrate the checkout process with the newly created carrier service automatically, or are there other steps to get the rate from the server to the checkout page?
  • Per the docs, FedEx requires incoming data in XML format, but the Carrier Service endpoint seems to send it JSON. Will this work? I haven't had success sending data to the new FedEx service yet and am not sure where to start.

Approaching it from a "build it from scratch" angle: a Shopify-built ActiveShipping library seems to work with FedEx freight, but I don’t see how to connect the library with the store, or how to otherwise install it. It seems like ActiveShipping is a module I could install on a proxy server that would handle shipping rates. If so, here are my questions:

• How would an order get sent to the proxy server from the checkout page for handing? Would an AJAX post do it or is there something native to the Shopify script (like the 'callback' method on a product page)?
  • After receiving rates from FedEx, how do I send them back to the checkout page from the proxy server?

Please let me know if I'm overthinking this or missing something obvious. I would love to hear that it's simpler than I'm making it out to be! Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
5711 0 138

Hey Steve!

You will need to configure your app with the FedEx credentials as well in order to fetch negotiated freight rates. It has been a while since I've looked at this but I do know it has been done in the past by some partners. You will need to use an app proxy so you can fetch the negotiated rates in the cart to pass to the checkout.

http://shopifyplus.com ::: http://twitter.com/bacchus
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Steven,

Were you guys ever able to figure this out? I am in need of LTL Freight shipping as well. So far found one app that works with multiple LTL shipping companies but would like to consider using Fedex as well.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hey Patrick, I was able to figure it out and integrated my client's FedEx freight account with their Shopify checkout. Are you going to be building something out yourself? Let me know how I can help.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Steve,

Thank you for the reply. How difficult of an integration is it? I am building out my site myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Patrick

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

If you've built apps with Ruby on Rails then not too difficult. Feel free to email me at stevehaase1 at gmail if you'd like to discuss further. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
11 0 3

There is an app for FedEx Freight avaliable in the app store.  Follow this link:

https://apps.shopify.com/fedex-ltl-freight-quotes

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

Hello Steven. My site is looking to also allow users to integrate client's FedEx freight account with their Shopify checkout. Would I be able to talk to you about how you set that up?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
11 0 3

Hi Adrian,

Did you take a look at the app for Fedex LTL Freight that is in the app store?

https://apps.shopify.com/fedex-ltl-freight-quotes

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

Yes I have and after reading the documentation, I did not see any feature that allows customers to user theur own FedEx account to include their own custom calculated rates instead the rates set from the account connected in the Shopify admin.

0 Likes