Integration with FedEx API: Receive-by Date with Different Shipping Methods

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Hey all,

I'm trying to accomplish a fairly in-depth piece of functionality for a website. I'll run you through what's needed:

The customer needs to be able to pick a desired delivery date for a product. This in and of itself is nothing special, however the shipping method also needs to be updated based on the delivery date - essentially, we're trying to replace 'pick a shipping method' with 'pick a delivery date', and a shipping method will be automatically chosen based on the delivery date. In a perfect world, the shipping prices and shipping methods based on delivery dates will be pulled automatically from the FedEx API.

It's worth noting at this point that this particular site is not on the Shopify Plus plan, so we don't have access to the checkout.liquid file. I'm proceeding on the assumption that we will NOT be able to upgrade the site to Shopify Plus, given that's it's a fairly small startup. So I've been trying to figure out methods that will allow us to accomplish the same result.

So far, the only idea I've personally hit on is making two-day shipping (for example) a product, and allowing users to purchase it with their order. I don't like this option, as it feels clunky and hacky, and opens itself up to more possible issues, such as purchasing TWO two-day shipping products.

Does anyone have any brilliant insights into how this could be accomplished? At this point I'm open to being told it's just not possible without access to the checkout.liquid file - and maybe not even WITH access - but I hope that's not the case.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
498 1 57

Hi Christian,

Thanks for posting on the forums!

You could use an app like Delivery date to add this option to your cart and this doc does this too! This won't impact the checkout.liquid as you mentioned, you are 100% correrct in that the code isn't available for PCI complaince reasons, and Plus stores get access under the guidance of their theme support! You could just be sure to tell customers picking a delivery date what rules are in place for this feature!

Shipping rates populate based on the customers location only, and if you are using Carrier Calcuated Shipping on your store, Fedex rates would be calcuated automatically based on the order weight/ location- are you using CCS? 

If you do add shipping rates as a product, you can use an app like Min Maxify to limit to one per customer and you could use this Free shipping bar app to link customers to that page where you show those "items" which you could embed as Buy buttons

I really hope you get something you like up and running Christian!

Warm regards,

Anne

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
20 0 1

Christian,

Take a look at this website, which has a smart datepicker for selecting receive dates of FedEx packages, once you have added a product to cart: https://shop.IslandCreekOysters.com

If what you are looking for is something along those lines, shoot us an email at admin@decimal.io and we will assist.

Decimal | Shipping Rates Calculator for Shopify | Los Angeles, California, USA | https://apps.shopify.com/decimal
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello Christian,

Did you find any workaround for this? 

Ever I have a requirement wherein a specific shipping method needs to be shown based on delivery date.

Ashish

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

By default achieving this would be a tough call. It appears to be a custom solution as you need an automatic mechanism to filter out shipping methods based on customer selected date. So ideally if the customer chooses a date 4-5 days from now, the ideal service for it would be FedEx Ground. You can approach the team of Multi Carrier Shipping label app to discuss further if no ready made solution comes to the picture.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes