International package returned

Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1
Hi everyone, I’m excited to have found this community.
I have a customer in Canada (I’m in Us) that contacted me because it looks like her package is being rerouted back to me. She hadn’t noticed her address in PayPal was incomplete and at a closer look on my part it does seem like it’s missing info. Canada post tracking said “incorrect address “ and is now back to usps in Illinois “moving through network”
She paid her items plus 9.50 shipping Which I fulfilled by usps through Shopify
So the questions is, will usps allow me to resend it if I reprint the label with correct address or will there have to be a complete new label purchased?
Or what would be the best procedure here so that a new label won’t have to be purchased?
If she decides to cancel completely, and I issue a refund, will the label be refunded since it was never delivered?
Sorry this is so long!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
601 34 91

Hi, @NobleBebe 

Elle here from Shopify. Happy to have you a part of the community!

If an order is returned to the sender by USPS, you will need to purchase a new label to reship the order. You can purchase a new label by creating a draft order mimicking the initial order, marking it as paid and fulfilling the order to print a new label. You can follow the steps outlined here!

If the customer decides to cancel their order, the shipping label will not be refunded to you. It's up to you if you wish to refund the shipping fee to the buyer! Do you have this outlined in your store's return policy? If you don't have one already we have a helpful guide on creating policies for your store here.

A lot of businesses handle shipping fee refunds based on why the item was returned. For example: If the item was returned because of "buyer remorse" then the shipping is not refunded versus if the item was returned due to a product defect, the shipping is refunded. Of course, the decision is up to you how you want to handle this! 

If you have any other questions, just let me know! You can also contact our support 24/7 if you want to speak to someone directly.

Cheers,
Elle

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1
Thank you Elle.

My question about label being refunded was a silly one now that I stop and think. I was wondering if USPS would refund me the label since the item wasn’t delivered. But now that caffeine has hit I realize they provided their services so a refund wouldn’t be justifiable.
I’ll have to decide how much to refund as I doubt she’ll pay almost ten dollars in shipping again for $25 purchase.

Thank you!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
601 34 91

Oh no worries at all. I'm happy to help!

It may be worth considering taking the loss on the label and shipping the item to the customer free of charge. This would really create a positive experience and increase customer loyalty! 

Hope you can find a solution that works for both you and the customer. 

Cheers, 
Elle

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1
I think this will be my solution. I’m still fairly new so any good reviews are valuable.
Thanks again!
1 Like
Highlighted

In some cases, customers are quite understanding and if you tell them the exact story, they do pay for reshipping. However, taking a chance with it is definitely not on the cards as there is likelihood of the customer turning sour. An alternative can be to club another item with the original one and tell the customer to pay shipping for it. If this fails, then yes, reshipping it would only be the last and the best option. I was wondering if $9.5 is a regular parcel charge? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
601 34 91

Hi, @Anindo 

I wouldn't be able to say what is a regular parcel charge as it will entirely depend on the item you are shipping, the courier you're using and the distance the item is being shipped. You can use our Shipping Calculator here to determine the cost of shipping your package!

Also, here's our doc on developing your shipping strategy for your reference.

Happy to help if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
Elle

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Elle : Thank you for the reply. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
601 34 91

@Anindo 

You're welcome! Our support is available 24/7 if you have any other questions. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
109 3 7

Hi, I think you need a good parcle tracking app. I suggest TrackingMore Shopify app

See this tracking number:

1.jpg

2018-10-06, the parcel is failed to delivery.

2018-10-19, the parcel is returned after 13 days.

If buyer or seller received a notification of failed attempt, this will never happens.

TrackingMore will send a email/sms notification to buyer when shipping status is in transit or out for dlievery, or delivered, or failed attempt, exception, so buyer can contact couriers in time.

The customized email like this:

2.jpg

And a email/SMS can be sent to seller too:

3.jpg

It only cost 0.01USD per order. And this problem will be solved forever.

0 Likes