International shipping for some products only

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

I ship international only cheaper products and ship US only the most expensive ones - For example a $5 iPhone case can go international while a $1000 iPhone won't.

Is there a way or an app that can block international shipping per category, collection, tags?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1866 181 747

Hi,

Would it not be a viable option to configure your Shipping > Rest of world with a Price based rate that has a Maximum order price set to whatever you require. Any order value above that simply won't have a valid shipping option available during checkout and thus the customer will not be able to proceed.

Albeit, the only downside is that the customer would see a potentially confusing, not-much-enlightening message in their checkout

There are no shipping methods available for your cart or address

Other than that, I can only suggest waiting for someone to suggest an app.

Liked this post? You might also like our fantastic upsell apps Candy Rack and Candy Cart or offer free gifts with Gift Box. All made with ❤️  and care by Digismoothie
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 9 52

Hi, there. 
Morgan here from the Social Media team at Shopify. 

Great question! Something like this is probably possible with an app. However, most of those apps are quite expensive and require some extra plan features on your Shopify account. 

What I recommend is simply manipulating you shipping settings based on the total price of the cart. Meaning, if you have a cart over $500 (you can choose any amount) internationally shipping options won't appear. This will keep international customers from being able to purchase over that limit.

Whereas, you can leave your domestic rates the same, and allow shipping for all products and cart totals to this destination. Here's an image of my shipping settings when I tested out this method. Feel free to copy the setup below! 

Let me know how that goes for you! Also, I understand your example here may just be an example, but if you do plan to sell branded items like Iphones, you want to make sure you have the proper reseller permits from Apple! Just something to keep in mind as your business grows. 

I hope the suggestion above works for you, let me know if you run into any troubles. 

Cheers, 
Morgan 

Morgan | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 9 52

Ah, yes! I see Karl had a similar idea above! 

Best of luck,
Morgan 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey there,

If you decide to go the app route, you can easily block international shipping on specific categories, collections, and tags with our shipping calculation app Intuitive Shipping. While the method that Karl and Morgan outlined above technically works, as Karl noted, it can be quite confusing for customers if they are unable to check out, especially if you have some higher price pointed items that can ship internationally. This method also assumes that you use price-based shipping rates which may not be the case. 

The extra feature Morgan was referring to is Shopify Carrier Calculated Rates feature, which is included in Advanced and Plus plans. If you are on the Basic or Shopify plan, you can easily have this feature added for $20/month a-la-carte, or free if you switch to annual billing (this also saves you 10% on your Shopify subscription!!).

Please reach out to us at support@intuitiveshipping.com if you have any questions, we’re always happy to help :)

Warm regards,
Sharon

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping
Execute a strategic approach to shipping | Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Thank you all for the ideas - I set Morgan's tips and it seems working - and I'll look at the advanced plan as the Plus is way above my budget :)

Have a great weekend!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 9 52

Glad that option worked out for you! 

If you do decide on the carrier calculated shipping, feel free to send our support team an email (support@shopify.com) and we can update the plan to either:

1. Add the feature on a la carte for $20/month
2. Move you to annual billing (which includes ccs for free)
3. Upgrade you to the advanced plan.

Whichever works best for you. 

If this current set up is working though, no pressure to change it up! 
Look forward to hearing from you, 
Morgan 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
153 0 9

Our customers using Shopify have wondered why there isn't a way to limit the shipping options on the product level. i know some of that can be done using third party apps, but they might cost a bit to use.

For now, though, communincation with your customers is key. Let them know in the product description, and anywhere else, (even in one of the product images) that this item is not available for international purchase. The earlier they realize this the more forgiving they will be with you and your store. You don't want them going through the entire shopping, choosing, confirming, checkout process, only to discover that they won't be getting their item.

Hope this helps a little!

Michael

e-commerce order fulfillment made fast. simple. easy. www.fulfillrite.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

What if you have a mix? I have some products from suppliers that ship internationally and some that don't at all.

0 Likes