Inventory Issues - notify customer by email?

Shopify Partner
21 0 3

Hi, I'm creating a site based on the New Standard theme. Where a product is out of stock completely, there is a link on the product page to allow the customer to receive a notification when it's back in stock. Is it possible to give them the same option for variants? They are able to add variants to the cart in quantities that are not actually available, or indeed to increase the quantities on the cart page, and then get the "inventory issues" message at checkout. Is it possible to prevent people from adding out of stock variants to the cart? Either way, is it possible to notify them by email when the variants become available again?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
290 0 160

Hey Zoe!

For notifying customers when a Product or Variant is back in stock, I recommend an app like one of the below:

Most themes have a "Sold Out" function for variants, and that'll prevent things being added to the cart when they're at a stock of 0. Now, if you're not tracking your inventory through Shopify then there isn't a way to notify someone when an item is back in stock at the variant level, though some of these apps may be triggered at the Product level when you make a Product Visisble instead of Hidden.

Hope that helps :)

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
21 0 3

Thank you Alex. I'm using a copy of New Standard and that doesn't seem to prevent out of stock variants from being added to the cart. Or actually it does, but only if they are completely out of stock. It will still allow you to add 5 of something that only has 2 in stock. Are there any themes that can correctly handle varients in that way?

0 Likes