Inventory management

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hey all, 

Few questions about automating inventory through shopify.

1: We have a product listed in 2 diferrent areas/collections on our site (we are a subscription and we had to create the product twice to arrange it how we needed to.) I assigned the same SKU to both (same) products but it wont pull from the other product when i purchase one. In reality the products are being pulled from the same inventory quantity since theyre the same product. (Obviously) Is there anyway to link 2 products / in 2 different collections to the same SKU and the inventory count updated for both products when one is purchased?

2. On a similar note, we offer 1, 2 and 3 packs of our product... The 1 and 2 pack can be solved as long as there is a simple solution to my first question since the 2 pick has variants. However, the 3 pack is one of each of 3 of our variants. So can I assign a SKU to the 3 pack product and have it draw from multiple other SKU's or is there another work around way to do it?

These seem like relatively common things that could come up with e-commerce stores. Hopefully that all made sense. Feel free to check out tryhiney.com to get a better idea of what I was explaining. Thanks!

Brady

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
289 2 34

Hi, Brady!

1: Do you absolutely have to have that product in Shopify as two different products? To achieve what you ask, ideally, you would create just one product and include this one (the same) product into two collections.

2. Isn't it so that a 2-pack or 3-pack is just the quantity of 2 or 3 of the same product? Does it have a different price (in your store it looks like they are having all the same price per item, regardless of the volume)? If they would have different price, it would be the "volume discount" in its core. Right?

What if you approach this problem from another angle - to solve it with just one product, but offer the volume discounts (if you have a different price per item)?

Maris

Excelify.io | Bulk Import Export Update Migrate | https://excelify.io
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Bradly,

1: We have a product listed in 2 different areas/collections on our site (we are a subscription and we had to create the product twice to arrange it how we needed to.) I assigned the same SKU to both (same) products but it wont pull from the other product when i purchase one. In reality the products are being pulled from the same inventory quantity since they're the same product. (Obviously) Is there anyway to link 2 products / in 2 different collections to the same SKU and the inventory count updated for both products when one is purchased?

Each new product will have a new id - Shopify doesn't use sku as the unique identifier

You will need to add the same product to , two different collections.

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Products.
  2. Click the product that you want to add to a collection.
  3. In the Collections section, select one or more existing collections.
  4. Click Save to add the product to all the selected collections.

2. On a similar note, we offer 1, 2 and 3 packs of our product... The 1 and 2 pack can be solved as long as there is a simple solution to my first question since the 2 pick has variants. However, the 3 pack is one of each of 3 of our variants. So can I assign a SKU to the 3 pack product and have it draw from multiple other SKU's or is there another work around way to do it?

These seem like relatively common things that could come up with e-commerce stores. Hopefully that all made sense. Feel free to check out tryhiney.com to get a better idea of what I was explaining. Thanks!

You will need create new skus as it is a new product when offering it in a 3 pack. You will then set the qty depending on how many "3 packs" they buy. If qty is 2 for this sku then you have 2 x 3 packs left.

May be better to try work through this on a spreadsheet - check this out - https://www.stock2shop.com/articles/spreadsheets-a-useful-tool-for-managing-your-product-data/

0 Likes