Is My personal information safe?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi,

I was wondering if shop and Shopify are PCI compliant and if this policy protects customers’ credit/debit card information and their personal information like their home address, social security number, and phone number.

Also, does Shopify never give out the customers’ personal information to their merchants (meaning the merchants don’t know or can’t get their hands on personal information like credit/debit card numbers, social security number, home address, and phone number). I am just asking these questions due to the merchant that I reported might having these personal information of mine, which is making worrying a lot and scared over my money and need something to ease my worries and fears.

Since I had made a purchase from this website that a merchant made (who was powered by Shopify) and never received anything form them and now I am scared that they have my personal information (my phone number, home address, social security number, and my credit/debit card number).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
514 46 132

Hi @V1Z,

Thank you for reaching out with your questions and I'll be happy to address your concerns. First of all, yes, Shopify's platform is PCI compliant and our compliance covers all six PCI standard categories.

There is no way for a merchant to view sensitive information such as your social security number, and when you pay for an order on a Shopify store via credit or debit card, your card information is completely secure. The merchant can see only the last four digits of the card number used during the transaction, but cannot see the full number or any other sensitive information such as the billing address or CVV number. This restriction applies to all Shopify employees as well and we cannot view or access this data.

Your name, shipping address and phone number is viewable by the merchant if this information was provided at checkout, as the merchant typically needs this information when fulfilling orders and sending shipments to customers.

In terms of the Shop app, it is also PCI compliant and the same security considerations are made with the app as they are on the Shopify platform itself. You can opt out at anytime.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Thank you for the information, but when you say that merchants can not view my SSN does that also include them not being able to gain access to it in any way or find it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
514 46 132

Hi @V1Z,

Did you enter in your Social Security Number when making the purchase, or provide it to the merchant in any way? It is not commonplace for merchants to ask for this piece of information when selling—I've personally never come across this before.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

I believe not, I do remember typing my debit card number, name and home address But can’t really remember if I did type my SSN. However, if I did then would that allow for the merchant to gain access to my SSN or would Shopify’s PCI compliant not show it to the merchant? What are the possibilities if I did?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
514 46 132

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @V1Z,

I have never come across a situation where a merchant asked their customers to enter in their SSN at checkout, so it is highly unlikely this information was asked for and I presume you would have remembered if this had been the case. The Shopify checkout does not include a field for customers to enter in their SSN or any other sensitive information.

As mentioned, your debit card number would have been processed via a secure connection and the merchant would not be able to view the full number, billing address, or CVV information. There is no way the merchant can access this data or any other sensitive data, such as your SSN, through this transaction.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Ok thank you for this sure information that you have told me and now I feel more safe and confident that nothing bad has happened to my private information.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
514 46 132

Hi @V1Z,

No problem at all, and I'm glad I was able to address your concerns. Thank you again for reaching out.

Kind regards,

0 Likes