Is anyone else not getting paid out using Shopify Payments in Australia?

VWD
Shopify Partner
45 0 7

A quick background...  we've had client's store running smoothly for over a year now with Stripe and PayPal as the payment gateways.  Not a single miss from any payments from either of these.

The lure of no transaction fees encouraged us to switch to Shopify Payments.  

However we've had nothing but troubles since switching from Stripe, to Shopify Payments. 

Initially we'd dismissed the lateness of the first payment as some kind of mandatory delay for the first payment, but when strange things started happening with the scheduled payout dates passing by and pending balance slowly dropping with no actual payments to the nominated bank account, we contacted Shopify support.  They were very polite and tried to be helpful and after being passed between 5 different CSRs / Shopify Gurus, 10 days after our initial support ticket, they finally were able to organize a payout which occurred on 1st Jan.  

With Shopify Payments in Australia the payout period is 3 days.  Since that initial payout on the 1st of Jan, we have not had a single payout, despite seeing the scheduled payout dates com and go and also the change - a bit disconcerting since none of the money is ending up in the client's nominated account!  That's getting close to 4 weeks now since our last payout.

We've been super patient and have appreciated the initial emphatetic emails from Shopify - over 20 emails from 5 different CSRs / Shopify Gurus - but sadly now, though, we're not getting any response from Shopify despite our request for updates on the issue.  The last reponse from Shopify was on the 22nd of Jan, where they stated that they're waiting for a response from their 'banking partner' (Stripe).

One thing that one of the Shopify Gurus suggested was that there was an issue with the nominated bank account!  But there hasn't been in a single issue in receiving payments from Stripe (Shopify Payments 'banking partner) previously nor PayPal into that bank account since the client's site was launched 16 or so months ago.  So it's unlikely that the issue is the bank account itself.

Has anyone else had such problems with Shopify Payments in Australia?  Since I have not seen anything like this in the forums etc, I'm hoping this is just an isolated experience.  Hopefully it will get sorted soon, and we won't have to worry about the client not getting paid anymore.  

0 Likes
Kristy_Cruicksh
6 0 0

Hi 

I wondered how you went with this? I am a small Australian store and really can't afford to not get paid so I am a little scared to take the plunge and swap from my MIGS gateway.Any advise from your experience would be great thanks.

0 Likes
VWD
Shopify Partner
45 0 7

Hi Kristy,

Well it has been very confusing!

So despite the dashboard and the payments section of Shopify Admin indicating payments within a few days and a large pending balance, after the first payment was received on the 1st Jan, the second payment was received on 1st Feb.  So that was a full month after.  

The next payment was received was on 7th Feb.  That was a week later.

Since then, the payments have been coming through nearly every day.

For a long time we weren't sure how to make sense of the pending balance, but it seems to be looking more sensible now.

All having been said, we were a little disappointed because we hadn't received any contact from Shopify since our initial conversations and so just waited patiently to see if things would resolve.  

So now things seem to be working as they should be.  Hopefully others who switch over won't have the same experience that we had.

David_Roche
Excursionist
43 0 4

VWD & Kristy

Thinking of making the change - how is it going now?

We would be using Paypal and Shopify. With shopify replacing eway/bendigo bank for around half of our business.  Even though bendigo is giving us a great rate the cost of the payment to eway for the gateway and the reduction of the shopify payment more than offset this. 

We have also been approached by PayPal to do all our business through them for quite an attractive rate even with the shopify comission included - however are loath to put all our trust in one provider, AND there is considerable chat that conversion rates increase with multiple payment options.

0 Likes
Kristy_Cruicksh
6 0 0

Hi David 

All good from here. I was using ANZ. Migs  gateway previously and the double dipping of fees from the bank and shopify was crazy. 

Since the swap I have had no trouble at all. Payments  are regular and the shopify take their cut straigtway then deposit remainder .

Hope that helps 

Best wishes 

Kristy 

0 Likes
Salesworm
5 0 0

The post is old I guess but will work when people search.

im having myself problems on 29 December 2017 with shoplift and not getting paid the payouts.

it stared a week ago asking me every hour to confirm my identity. Every hour I was sending as a file my Australian ID - driving licence- that's all we have here.

they were unblocking payments for while and then again blocked.

it was a big campaign period and I was doing 10 more times sales than usual and having this problems caused me loss of income considerable.

the customer support was everything other than real support.

it is like they try to delay the process and I guess if they do that to many shop owners then they earn lots of interest withholding money and paying out with delays or not at all.

This is consider blackmail they are doing because the only way is to lose the money or going to lawyers losing money again at the end.

As soon I get my payout I am closing the shop and will use a site that really cares and that explains problems.

I have deactivated from now on shoplift payments and do not care for the 2% transaction fees as long I will no have them to make problems with their aged system

Update will come soon, I'm awaiting the last response to my warning emails to them

0 Likes
Jason
Shopify Expert
10037 119 1873

@salesworm - It's not uncommon for payment gateways (paypal included) to put a pause on payouts whilst extra information about the merchant is gathered. This is part of their risk mitigation and not specific to any ecommerce platform. Generally the pause doesn't effect your ability to keep processing payments from customers and the checkout flow doesn't stop.

Best course of action is submit all the info you've been asked for as soon as possible. If there's any issues in that contact support with haste just in case there needs to be any manual actions taken.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Salesworm
5 0 0

It is really INTERESTING to know how and why you figured out my details though Ididnt post any shop details.

So you mean,,,that is nice for you and other sites to keep peoples money ?

Where are they supposed to have an income flow to support their small shop ?

Getting a loan or something?

No this is not acceptable excuse and at the end of the day, you could have said all this to me officially when I inquired for it

This is a proof that there is nothing neat to proffesional and makes me wonder more and more.

Also please - keep my personal details- PRIVATE as per law

0 Likes
Jason
Shopify Expert
10037 119 1873

@salesworm - I'm replying to your previous post where you gave info about a problem. To me it sounds like you're needing to submit verification info and that you're having troubles. My response is based entirely on that, and having experience with the process previously. 

I'm attempting to offer some advice with the experience I've had with my own stores or with other merchants and clients. No offense is intended here. If there was some personal info leaked here, by all means make me aware of it and I'll happily remove. The only thing I can think of is that I used your public forum name in my reply:

So you mean,,,that is nice for you and other sites to keep peoples money ?

It's a process of dealing with payment gateways. At times they'll ask for more info or pause payouts as part of their risk mitigation. 

Where are they supposed to have an income flow to support their small shop ?

Again, it's a step imposed by the gateway / banking partners. Any delay in payouts can be a pain for small businesses, but it's a step that most will go through as they grow at some point. I've needed to do the same thing here my both my store, and my partners so I do understand those concerns you may have. The process is generally pretty quick to sort out so hopefully you're back in action now. If not, give whoever you're talking to at Shopify a prod.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Salesworm
5 0 0

I do understand and know the process but this doesn't"t mean that the shop owner has to wait and wait and wait....

I'm sure all will agree with that.

Wouldn't it be better if the "big shoplify" kept me informed and responding to my emails and requests ? 

This can show " interest and care" and support the idea of trust and honesty.

Instead we have a repetition of similar emails back and forward informing for a " ticket submitted " etcetera etcetera.

One small shop is nothing, but many small shops together can make a government fall.

My voice is not loud, plus I barely have time to post in blogs in general.

But no matter how small I am at the end I will prove my point one way or another.

I do appreciate your response except from the fact that you are " shoplify"  and you are bound from policies and rules about what you can say or not.

Someone who is not innocent he will not try again and again to get his money. He will just move away and come with another name perhaps.

I and others stay here because we are I'd and not easily can start again from scratch.

Isn't that blackmail as well?

We know that you spent hundreds of hours to make your site and you can't just move on?

Anyways I wish you and all people a happy new year and a planet with understanding.

0 Likes