Is there a way to convert a draft order to a regular order without taking payment?

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 3

Some of our orders are only paid after shipping. I am wondering if there is a way to convert a draft order to a regular order before payment is received. I know I could do this by 'marking as paid' but I don't want to do that because then I won't be able to accept payment for it later. 

The main reason I want to do this is because our orders trigger a whole bunch of things to happen in other apps through a Zapier integration and Zapier will only pull from order creations not draft orders. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
309 31 50

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @!

Rose here from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out!

That's a great question. May I ask how you wish to capture the payment after the order has been shipped? If you are accepting the payment outside of Shopify, you can mark the draft payment as "pending" and it will automatically create the order. The payment in waiting will be considered a manual payment and, when the funds are received outside Shopify, you can mark the order as "paid".

19-52-r2p0j-hh5mm

This is the only native option to change the status of the draft to an order without immediately taking the payment or marking it as paid.

Otherwise, you can consider using an application to charge your customers when you wish to do so. We have an application called "Charge Me Later" that would allow you to set up a custom payment timeline for all or specific orders.

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Cheers!

Rose | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 3

Thanks for getting back to me. We do still receive payments through Shopify so the 'Pending' button isn't an option. The 'Charge Me Later' app might do the trick. I just need to decide if this problem is $10 per month painful lol

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 2

Rose, would marking a draft invoice as Pending still allow the customer to click on the invoice and pay via PayPal?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
309 31 50

Hi, @jmstrick !

Great question! 

Marking an order as "pending" essentially notifies our system that the payment will be captured outside of Shopify. It cannot continue on to capture the payment through PayPal. You also can't edit a draft order after marking the payment as pending. When you receive payment for the order, you can mark it as paid from your Orders page.

If you wish to capture a payment through the draft order process, you will need to email the invoice to the customer directly. This will provide them with a secure link to process their payment through PayPal or whichever payment provider you have set up for your customers.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Rose | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes