Is there a way to find out how many people are leaving after trying certain payment options?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
33 0 9

We have two payment providers that occasionally have issues without notifying us. 

I have managed to find out that most of the errors arise when using the built in browser on Facebook and Instagram on mobile, but not for which payment service.

Is there a way to see dropoffs per payment service? Or to see device info compared to completion rate? 

This is one of the most critical parts of running a webshop, and should be possible to improve. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
622 47 135

Hey, @Preben_Frenning!

Julie here from Shopify Support. 

Since these dropoffs seem to be happening in the online checkout, it's likely that you'll be able to view these attempted orders in the abandoned checkouts section of your admin. This can be accessed by heading into Orders > Abandoned checkouts.

Once there, you can select individual orders, where you can then view the payment events for each order. The payment events will tell you the payment gateway, card type, and decline reason for each attempted transaction. In the screenshot example below, you'll see that this customer was attempting to process their transaction through Shopify Payments:

20-10-bzkzw-09jh5

Now, finding out which device these particular customers were using isn't as straightforward, but it can be done! To do so, you'll just need to head over to Analytics > Reports > Behaviour and select the Online store conversion over time report. This particular report shows you the percentage of online store visitors that make a purchase over a selected period of time. 

By default, device information is hidden in this report, but you can add it by selecting Edit columns, where you'll see a few different options under the Device heading. In this example, I've added Device type and Device browser as columns. Here's what this looks like: 

20-10-hf709-cqgob

As you can see here, you can view the device each customer used, along with some information about where they dropped off in the conversion process and whether their session actually converted into a sale. The Reached checkout column should show you the same sessions that were recorded in your abandoned checkouts. This will allow you to see which device those particular customers had tried to use. 

Reviewing the payment events for your abandoned checkouts and accessing the Online store conversion over time report should give you the data you're looking for. They should also help you determine if there's any correlation between your payment gateways and the devices your customers are using. 

Out of curiosity, which payment gateways are you using?

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes