Is this scenario possible? Default box changes based on quantity...

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi all,

I have a pretty specific question.  I do free shipping for everything on my store except for 1 specific product.  This product requires priority delivery instead of standard.  I have the set up figured out for the most part.  I have a default package saved and that is fine....

.... Until 10 ore more of the items are ordered which requires a larger box to be used.  This box has dimensions that are larger than the 12" and under dimensions for lower USPS priority mail.  

I can't figure out how to make it so that if a specific quantity of that product and it's variants are ordered that it will change to the larger box size.  Can anyone help?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Tourist
5 1 4

Hi. You can set up custom shipping rates for your product. Go to your Admin page and click on the settings button on the bottom left. Select Shipping and look on the right side of the page for the box headed "Custom shipping rates for products". Select "Create new profile". This will let you create a shipping policy specifically for this one product. Give your product a name for the profile, no-one else will see this name. Use the "Add products" link to select your product. Use the "Create shipping zone" link to specify where your shipping area for this rate will be applied. Now a link will appear for you to "Add rate"

This is where you will be able to define the conditions that will change the shipping price. The default button is for "Set up your own rates", leave this selected. Under "Rate name", select Standard. Set the first price that you want to set for shipping this item, which will be the cost of shipping 1 item. Select the "Add conditions" link. Now you can choose upper limits for this rate based on weight or cost. Either will do if the costs are fixed but weight would be better if you offer discount pricing.

Check your product page to see what weight has been assigned to it. If you aren't using a shipping agent's own app to calculate rates then the actual weight doesn't matter. If it doesn't have one then you can make one up; it doesn't matter what it is but 1 unit will make calculating the shipping rates easier; I am in the EU and have the product weight set at 1Kg. Check the "Based on item weight" button and set the minimum and maximum weights - and therefore items - that will have this rate applied. In your case this would be Minimum 1Kg and Maximum 9Kg. Click "Done" which will take you back to the main page. Click the "Add rate" link again and set another rate for orders weighing 10Kg or more. You can keep doing this for every combination of item numbers and box sizes that you are likely to ship.

Rates will automatically be applied to this product only and will change by order quantity. Just be careful not to alter the product weight at any time or this will ruin your checkout shipping calculations.

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Wow. Thank you for the in depth answer. That's fantastic!!
0 Likes