Issues with double orders of unique products

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello community!

I have been reading through Shopify community posts for the past months to find a solution for my problem, but up until now I was not able to find any.

So here goes:

• I have a webshop selling unique tropical houseplants (www.bestbuds.be).
  • Each plant is presented individually as a variant of the plant name (they can choose a plant variant on product detail).
  • As some plants are very wanted, and new plants are offered during 'stock drops', we have a high traffic on specific moments.
  • Even though we mostly offer more than 1 variant of each plant during a drop, the interest is so high, people end up wanting to buy the same plant.
  • We work with an external payment provider (Multisafepay), which takes the customer to an external payment page after the first checkout page (contact information).
  • We notice a stock check before being redirected to the payment page (so if the plant is already sold, they can not checkout) - which is a good thing.
  • However, there is no stock reservation before redirecting to the payment page, therefore when 2, 3 or 4 (!) customers redirect to the payment page around the same time, they all are able to checkout and thus the unique product is sold 2, 3 or 4 times
  • It's not hard to see why this is extremely frustrating to both me and my customers.
  • My customers don't mind "battling" for the unique product, so reserving the cart would be an option (for a limited amount of time) - but using the reservation cart app (https://apps.shopify.com/reserve-cart-by-coderslabbeta), I was not able to implement that (I don't want customers to actively need to push "reserve", because they will not do it, resulting in the same issues).
  • I looked into alternative payment providers that can handle payment without redirecting to an external page, but none are suitable for my market (not offering the payment options I want).

At this point I'm out of ideas.

I read about stock being reserved when payment was handled here: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Holding-an-item-on-checkout/td-p/526964 but I suspect that is when e.g. VISA card or bank transfer is being checked, not while being on the payment page.

Anyone has anymore ideas?

0 Likes