Klarna Checkout API?

RoarSweden
2 0 2

Hey

Have you gone any further when it comes to the accelerated Klarna Checkout?

Im 100% sure that the biggest reason swedish people choose other platforms today is since you dont have the express checkout (you have payments, which is good) but this makes everything in 3 extra steps instead of instant checkout.

Have you started with the work? Or is it 2025 release?

Would be nice if its worth to build on the site and hope for a future release within 1 year or so.

BR

Roar

RoarSweden
2 0 2

Ive spoken to Klarna, and they have everything ready, but they say that you dont support multi-currency at the moment, which is required for the klarna checkout to work.

So the updated question is, will you implent the multi-currency in any near future? 

0 Likes
KlarnaBeardsley
Shopify Partner
9 0 2

@RoarSweden At this time, we at Klarna are committed to providing the best Klarna Payments experience that Shopify can support. We are always working to enable additional features and flows. However, at this time there are no near-term plans to support an accelerated checkout flow nor the Klarna Checkout product on Shopify. We will notify you if anything changes. Thank you for being a Klarna Payments fan.

Nicholas @ Klarna

0 Likes
Bingbong
1 0 0

@KlarnaBeardsley wrote:

@RoarSweden At this time, we at Klarna are committed to providing the best Klarna Payments experience that Shopify can support. We are always working to enable additional features and flows. However, at this time there are no near-term plans to support an accelerated checkout flow nor the Klarna Checkout product on Shopify. We will notify you if anything changes. Thank you for being a Klarna Payments fan.

Nicholas @ Klarna

This is the sadest thing I've read in many days. Why can't you just implement this right away? I have only Swedish customers and I got many abandoned carts due to the slow checkout with 3-steps to Klarna.

0 Likes
Jolin1
5 0 0

I totally agree, this is the sadest thing! 

@KlarnaBeardsley any news? Its been 6 months so hopefylly this is in the making? 

0 Likes
KlarnaBeardsley
Shopify Partner
9 0 2

@Jolin1 - We do not yet have any positive news to report. Please continue to voice the need for KCO on Shopify here and elsewhere. Merchant demand drives product and we're working hard to find a path forward for KCO on Shopify in 2021. Thanks.

0 Likes
Jolin1
5 0 0

Hi, thats sad And frankly so so stupid, this should have been added the minute shopify started to buy smaller competitors on the swedish market... 

Shopify can you please solve this asap? Klarna is not just the biggest checkout provider in the Nordics, its the only one that the customer trust 110%.
If a shop doesnt have Klarna at the very first glance the Nordic customer simpely move on to shop elsewhere. They dont trust Google or Apple Pay or even PayPal in the same way and they dont get out of the sofa to get their visa card...

To be without Klarna express checkout is devestating for all Nordic shop owners! Please see to our needs and fix this 

0 Likes
sipsynthemesc
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

Jumping in here.

I have been using this SaaS for several years. The company I work with was one of the earlier Nordic stores on here.

Shopify has a habit of being heavily incompetent and exhibiting negligence in its Scandinavian dealings. For multiple years merchants in this region waited for multiple currency at checkout and when they finally got their shit together Nordic merchants still had to wait an additional year for SEK, NOK and ISK to be fully supported. While so many were thankful for the bone they were thrown I personally felt insulted considering the company sat on this issue alone for close to a decade. It become apparent rather quickly that Shopify merely took their time on that aspect so they could monopolize payment gateways, thus resulting in Shop Pay. Interestingly, the former CEO of the Swedish startup known as TicTail which was consumed by Shopify nearly 3 years ago is the guy leading the team behind Shop Pay. Weird, right? You'd think someone who grew up in Sweden, who understands Swedish culture and above all else knows the impact Klarna has on e-commerce in the region, would help push this, right? I mean he did used to operate an e-commerce saas himself, right? So i guess we should rest easy and know that they are working it and they understand the importance of this integration, right?

Wrong.

The fact they have yet to bring support for Klarna express checkout is no real surprise but this SaaS has track record of such. Bringing support for Klarna is not by any means an engineering hurdle, but instead I'd hypothesize the delay to be strategic move with sinister motives, as per the habitual nature of Shopify, because as Jolin1 pointed out: 

@Jolin1 wrote:

Klarna is not just the biggest checkout provider in the Nordics, its the only one that the customer trust 110%.
If a shop doesnt have Klarna at the very first glance the Nordic customer simpely move on to shop elsewhere. They dont trust Google or Apple Pay or even PayPal in the same way and they dont get out of the sofa to get their visa card...

To be without Klarna express checkout is devestating for all Nordic shop owners! Please see to our needs and fix this 

So, is it fair to say Shop Pay would be competing with Klarna? Yes. What will happen to Shop Pay if Klarna express checkout is the first option that Scandinavian has or is presented with? Well my dear friends, Shop Pay will dissipate into the abyss (much like it should) and businesses can get back to making money instead of pleading and begging with some support team battling weight issues and self worth. 

Klarna is currently processing the vast majority of online transactions and purchases made in countries like Sweden. In such nations Klarna is highly regarded. People trust and love Kalrna, not only because it's a great service but the company worked hard to position itself in the market and grew progressively to its surrounding nations, it earned the trust of the people. A similar occurrence can be found in the Netherlands with iDeal (which is sort of like Klarna) but I digress. What we have here and the point I'm trying to make is that Shopify wants monopoly and the moment Klarna express checkout goes up, is the moment Shop Pay dies. The longer they hold up the more exposure Shop Pay is given, the higher the chance the consumer will just submit and the more capital gains can be generated. It's really a vicious cycle. 

I mean, this company (Shopify) literally applied that provider to checkout automatically upon release. Think about that, they openly pushed its agenda on merchants. That's a real world equivalent of a company walking into your brick and mortar shop and placing a additional payment solution next to your till without permission. Wild, right? In any sense the reality is Shopify does not give a f*** about you, us or it's merchants, it's a billion dollar corporations with deep pockets. The company needs stronghold because this game is about longevity and keeping relevance. The platform despite its expansion and growth will inevitably die out without sinking its claws into your business, and deeply manifesting itself, so of course this delay will persist, you won't see Klarna at express checkout, they will just keep swindling or remain silent until they've hit their quotas and they see viable path. It's utterly despicable. Similar to how they lock checkout design, and then want merchants to Pay 2000 USD per month to get those features, it's wrong and terrible but this is just another big-tech company, they adopt Facebook technologies because they sleep in the same bed. smh.

So what is the solution here?

It's twitter.

Create an account and you start tweeting @ the higher ups. They are easy find, a quick search will index the job titles they hold in their twitter bios. Tweet them, respond to them as they self flagellate achievements like the abysmal failure that is "shopify mail" or their 160 character publishments of incomplete and generally over hyped updates that will "change ecommerce" smh. - The trick is to hassle them, the ones up who have pull, those are the ones who avoid bad press like the the plague so the moment a few start tweeting about the fact they are costing merchants money, more will follow and start to speak out about the companies shortcomings. The goal is always to invokes some form of action to be taken. If a dozen merchants spent an hour everyday to shed light on such technical incompetence here on Shopify and did so by directly mentioning  actual employees who have a say, well that is when change is quick to be implemented. You will get nowhere asking here on the forums, the snowflakes who are responding have trouble doing basic division let alone have any form of input in a company which is mostly remote and has 1000's of employees. 

If you've made it this far, may you find peace. 

0 Likes
intervaro
2 0 0

+1 for supporting Klarna Checkout in Shopify. We have multiple clients in Scandinavia demanding Klarna Checkout as an accelerated payment gateway, since it has become the no 1 standard gateway for Scandinavian consumers. We actually have a hard time to motivate our Scandinavian clients choosing Shopify over other solutions when you're not supporting Klarna Checkout.

Please make this a priority.

0 Likes
Roar_Sweden
6 0 0

Still no news regarding Klarna Checkout?

Seems like this should be fixed by now? ALOT of swedes are using shopify, so i dont see why this wont be prioritised?

0 Likes