Legal requirements for selling products from Europe to USA

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello, 

I would like to sell products to the USA with dropshipping. I am based in Europe and the websites that I am buying from are based in China. I buying only products with free shipping to the USA, so all the customers that order from my website are not going to pay delivery costs. However, I would like to ask what are the legal requirements for me to sell in the USA if I am not a US citizen and haven't got a registered company in the US. 

Thank you in advance, 

Tihomir

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
559 59 108

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @tihomir,

Hyde here from Shopify. Great question!

It's awesome to hear that you're embarking on a dropshipping venture. Will you be using Oberlo or another drop shipping service?

I would suggest that you do not restrict yourself to only products that are free to ship. This will significantly limit your options. There are other ways of providing your customers with free shipping, even if the supplier themselves charges shipping.

For example, here’s an informative Shopify Blog called Everything You Need to Know About ePacket Shipping: ePacket Delivery Explained – Shopify that’s also certainly worth checking out. While this is in the context of the Oberlo app, the principles will generally apply to many Aliexpress dropshipping apps, and the basic principle is: you order products from the supplier to be sent by ePacket to the customer, which is the cheapest option. You then do not explicitly charge shipping on your orders but include the minor delivery fee in your product prices instead. Here too is a blog post from Oberlo about when you should offer free shipping that you may find handy.

As an eCommerce merchant, you do not legally need to have a base in the US to sell in the US! That's the joy of selling online internationally. 

I hope this information all helps Tihomir, and if you have any other questions I'm happy to answer them.

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
258 8 25

Hey @tihomir! Gabby here from Spocket. Hyde did an awesome job helping you out, and he actually made great points, especially with shipping costs. In any case, from my end, I took note of your statement regarding where you're shipping from. How's it going with the lockdown in China still in place? Hope it's not affecting your orders too much. Since you're shipping to mainly to the US, why not get products who are also actually in the US for faster shipping times? Spocket's main feature is giving dropshippers access to thousands of suppliers from both the US and the EU, so if you're open to other options, it's something you can definitely check out. Plus, if the coronavirus situation is affecting your orders, it's a great alternative to use. You can learn more on Spocket's official website!

0 Likes