Limit payment methods by country - accept PayPal only internationally

Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 3

Hello,

Has anyone found a way to limit what payment methods are available by location?

We'd like to offer credit card payments through our provider for everyone, but allow PayPal to be used by our customers from outside the US as well (but not for domestic customers).

Is this possible?

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
18 0 9

Right now that's not possible, but I'll make sure there's a feature request for that, so the development team knows that people would want that sort of fine-tune control over access to payment gateways by location.

Brad Leclerc - Shopify Guru - brad.leclerc@shopify.com
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Brad,

Any update on this feature? I have a client that can only offer cash on delivery in his country but wants to sell internationally.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
133 0 8

Actually this is pretty easy to setup. I've done this quite a few times. Set your gateway to decline card transactions with a billing address outside the usa. Then setup a redirect link to check out with Paypal on declined transactions.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 3

Derek,

Your solution works if we want international users to _only_ be able to use PayPal.

We're happy to have international customers pay with their credit card. What we want to limit is the ability for _domestic_ users to pay by PayPal. In general, we don't like Paypal because the fees are so high. We're willing to compromise with international customers, since they sometime prefer paypal over paying the currency exchange fees by their credit cards. But, for domestic users, we just want to prevent them from using Paypal.

So, good idea, but not quite there for what we're looking for.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Did you ever find a solution for this? I am looking to do something similar. Thanks in advance for any help! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 5

We need this feature too

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Update on this please!

Highlighted
2 0 0

Having this option woul solve a lot of headackes for us as well

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

@Derek20 wrote:

Actually this is pretty easy to setup. I've done this quite a few times. Set your gateway to decline card transactions with a billing address outside the usa. Then setup a redirect link to check out with Paypal on declined transactions.

Where do you setup the redirect?  Do they get a payment denied message if you setup no international countries in your gateway? 

0 Likes