Linking your Canada Post account with shopify

Highlighted
Quite disappointed to learn that when I linked my Canada Post small business account to my Shopify, my shipments don't contribute to my savings level increasing. Shopify only USES my current rate. My shipments don't contribute to my ACTUAL CP account.
1 year e-commerce, 7 years B&M store. www.shopbraeheid.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
473 34 67

Hi, @ShawnBouchard!

Sophia here from Shopify.

Thank you so much for sharing this feedback about how the Carrier Calculated Shipping feature currently works. At this time, connecting your Canada Post account will allow you to display your negotiated rates to customers in the checkout. The appropriate teams here have received your feedback and will take into consideration with Canada Post whether we can update the feature so that it does contribute to your Canada Post account in the future.

Thanks again for sharing this! Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

It really hurts to see how this system works. I almost exclusively ship through shopify admin, in order for me to get a better discount I need to use MY canada post account. So my negotiated rates won't be any better than someone who ships 1 package a year, because shopify uses their account to purchase my labels, instead of the account I have linked to my shopify shipping admin. So in order to start trying to climb the canada post discounts on my account, I would need to ship $2,500 - $4,000 using canada posts website, then start using shopify admin on the order pages after that in order to even qualify for any additional discounts. 

If Shopify lets me link my account in the admin, it seems like it should be very logical that it is actually MY account that the labels are being purchased under. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
473 34 67

Thank you, @ShawnBouchard.

I understand the frustration here and have notified the appropriate teams that you'd like to see your label purchases in the Shopify admin count towards your Canada Post account instead of only displaying the negotiated rates to customers at checkout. While I can't guarantee when and if these changes can be implemented, our team appreciates the detailed feedback and will take it into consideration for future updates.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

appreciate your reply. I believe I have negotiated a commercial rate with Canada Post, and will likely be exporting our shipping to cvs and printing the labels with Canada posts software. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 16

To start climbing the canada post discounts on your account, there is no need to go to the Canada Post website and perform shipping individually. You do this within Shopify using the Multi Carrier Shipping label app. With this app, your account will be used to show real time quotes as well as generate labels, schedule pickups, etc. This way, Canada Post will be aware of your progress in contributing to shipments and hence you can rise levels quickly. 

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted

Yes, I've ended up migrating to Shipstation integration and it's working in a way that it contributes to my savings level. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 5

We have the exact same issue.

Canada Post discounts would have been significantly more than the Shopify discount rate, but they want us to use their own SnapShip.

Shopify is getting SIGNIFICANT discounts with Canada Post, but anyone using Shopify doesn't qualify for more than the rate of their Shopify plan.

Furthermore, because Shopify bills in USD, the amount ends up being more spent through Shopify than with Canada Post.

It sucks that there's integration built-in but Canada Post either refuses to allow it to contribute to the business number or Shopify has specifically not added it, and made it look like that's what should be happening.

0 Likes
Highlighted

We use shipstation app now, integrates with Canada post and shopofy (what shopify should be doing) and it actually uses your account to purchase the labels. Worth the $40 a month if you're shipping any real quantity.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Shawn,

Curious if ship station is still working for you. We just launched a store in March and realized that we were paying more than we should be using the built-in shipping label functionality in Shopify. Its annoying to me that we have to pay another monthly fee, but I think it would pay off ... before we go down that path, just curious if you're still having success?

Appreciate your insight and sharing.

Heather

0 Likes