Local Pick Up Only For Certain Products

jkavanagh
Tourist
4 0 1

Our business has certain products which are too big for shipping but they are available for local pick up. How do I remove the "Ship" option from the payment screen so that the only option for the customer is "Pick Up" in store? 

I've played with separate "Locations" and "Shipping and delivery" profiles but can't get the right outcome. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

0 Likes
June
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 76 39

Hi @jkavanagh,

Thanks so much for your question! I'm happy to help you get your shipping settings just right. I'd love to hear a little more about what you've tried so far?

My first impression, based on what you've shared, is that you'll likely want to isolate your pickup-only products within a single location, enable that location for pickup, then remove any shipping rates assigned to it. To do this, you can: 

1. Visit Settings > Locations and create your "Pickup Only" location. You're welcome to call it whatever you'd like and can even use the same physical address as your other location(s). Bear in mind that this location name and address will be visible to customers at checkout.
  2. Head to Products > Inventory to ensure that your pickup-only products are only available at this location. 
  3. Next, visit Settings > Shipping and delivery > Local pickup
  4. Enable your new location for pickup by selecting Manage, then checking "This location offers local pickup". 
  5. Finally, head into your shipping profile(s) - e.g. General shipping rates > Manage rates
  6. Ensure that there are no shipping rates assigned to your "Pickup Only" location. By default, you may already see your new location listed similarly to the example below. If you do need to remove any existing rates, you can visit the Shipping from section and select More details > Manage > Remove rates
  7. Give it a try! Visit your online store, add one or more pickup-only items to your cart, and confirm that you are only given the option to select local pickup as your delivery method at checkout. 

30-31-84144-31239

It's also worth noting that it's currently not possible to combine delivery methods at checkout. By this I mean, a customer cannot place an order in which some items will be shipped and others available for pickup - these will need to be ordered separately. 

Definitely let me know if you have any questions along the way! For more information, check out Manage your locations and Remove a location

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
jkavanagh
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi @June 

Thank you so much for your reply and assistance here. It is much appreciated!

I've followed the below steps but the "Ship" option still remains. Is it possible to remove this and what might I be doing wrong?

jkavanagh_1-1625204179649.png

At least when you do try to click though on the "Ship" option it won't let you check out. 

jkavanagh_2-1625204454787.png

Thanks, Jack

0 Likes
Claire222
Shopify Partner
93 2 8

Hi @jkavanagh ,

We had the same question and Shopify staff confirmed that this is the expected behavior. It's not great UX but Shopify won't change it.

0 Likes
jkavanagh
Tourist
4 0 1

Thanks @Claire222 for the update. 

@June are there any plans to change/make improvements to this in the near future? Seems like an issue numerous people are having. 

0 Likes
June
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 76 39

Hi @jkavanagh

So glad to see you managed to make those changes. 

As a couple of folks have mentioned, this is currently the expected behaviour of our checkout: when shipping rates are not available, customers will see the message "We don't offer shipping to..." and/or "This order can't be shipped to your location". The upside of this is that there is no confusion on the customer's side as to whether or not shipping is possible - however I can also appreciate the preference for a simplified checkout page that excludes a "Ship" section altogether. I'll take the time today to add that feedback to our request log so that it can be taken into consideration for future updates. 

Thanks everyone for sharing! 

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
jkavanagh
Tourist
4 0 1

Thanks @June , I think it would be a very worthwhile update.

Just today after implementing, we had a customer get in touch with us as they were confused about this process. 

All the best and thanks.