Look, Does Shopify Do Dimensional Shipping?

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 0

I have products of differing sizes and weights that are prepackaged in different sized boxes. I am disinclined to go buy a bunch of randomly oversized boxes to try to squeeze every order into a single box, wasting time and potentially damaging products. It appears, however, this is what Shopify expects?

My requirement is straightforward and extremely simple. I have products. They are boxed. How much does it cost to ship my box with my product in it? I would be happy to assign a specific box to a specific product if need be. They are literally 1:1.

BTW, I have tried the Boxify, Parcelify, and Multicarrier Shipping Label apps. None of them are adequate to the task (or, if they are, they are so poorly documented they are essentially useless for my purposes and not worth the extra cost and effort.)

Does anyone know how to get Shopify to calculate shipping for individually-boxed products?

TIA

0 Likes
Excursionist
291 0 7

I am from the Multi Carrier Shipping label app team. I can be of some help here. As far as i understood your query, you are looking to ship the pre-packaged products on an individual basis. That means 1 product(pre-packaged) goes as one shipment. In that case, i was wondering would you still be okay if someone orders say 4 products in an order? Each product will have a separate label and your charges will be higher than what could have been if packed inside a single box. As a generic example, i would like to show how the pricing differs when products are packed separately vs products inside a single box.

Price when products packed in separate boxes : 

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 5.07.01 PM.png

Price when products packed in single box : 

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 5.11.09 PM.png

However, if you are still looking to pack as individual shipments(or for that matter in based on boxes), the Multi Carrier Shipping label app does have a solution for this. You can approach app support for this.

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 0
Thanks for the response. Does it work with Shopify's shipping discounts or is it one of these things where I have to go try to individually negotiate a bunch of rates with different carriers myself?

I'm fine shipping them individually.

Thanks
0 Likes
Excursionist
291 0 7

If you are planning to get shipping discounts, then Shopify Shipping is indeed the best. However, i understand that you would not be able to get the exact solution with regards to your use case if you go that way.

The app works with your own carrier account. So you would need to get accounts for the carriers you are planning to use. Regarding the solution for individual packaging, you can discuss this with support.

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 0
Thanks for the feedback.

Seems like I just need to know if Shopify does what I need done or not at this point. There's no way I'll get decent shipping discounts at my volume, so whatever solution I end up with is going to have to work with the discounted shipping rates.

Thanks
Michael
0 Likes
Excursionist
291 0 7

That's a wise decision if you are looking at heavy discounted rates. As you gain more and more business, you can then start using your own account and at a later stage go back to these carriers and renegotiated your contract for better discounts. This process is indeed slow but effective.

0 Likes