Making a custom payment processor (like Klarna)

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi all,

We're trying to build a custom payment processor that can be integrated into Shopify stores as a plugin and payment method. A bit like Klarna.

I'm not too sure how to do this - so far, I've been thinking of using the Shopify webhooks to listen to when an order is created with a manual checkout method (that would be made by either the plugin, or the shop owner under our instruction), and when an order is detected, wire the shop money and handle the payment from there.

However, this bypasses Shopify's payment, which I'd imagine Shopify wouldn't be too happy with, and therefore wouldn't authorize the app.

Am I thinking along the right lines here? Any suggestions? Has anyone something like this before?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 77 106

Hi, @Laksh1997,

Hank here from Shopify. Really great question!

Creating your own payment gateway is something that is truly exciting to see, and there is a way this can be done which I will share with you.

I will share with you this guide with you about submitting a Hosted Payment SDK, to integrate your payment gateway.

Right now, the only payment gateways that are being integrated are the HPSDK but I will also share with you this link, which shows all of the payment gateways available to you.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

All the best,

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi @Hank 

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

I checked out the form - I won't lie, it looks pretty daunting. E.g "Are you a best in class payment provider?". We are getting a small project up and running, and so we are in the process of gauging interest from Shopify retailers, as well as developing the app and payment infrastructure.

In your opinion are we likely to be accepted through the form, and if not, what shall we do to best increase our chances? We would be grateful if you would be able to chat over the phone about this as we are very keen to get this up and running.

Cheers in advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 77 106

Thank you for your reply!

While I agree it may seem daunting, the bar is set high to ensure the payment gateway meets the standards set by the team for the platform.

As they would be deemed an escalated team, I would not be able to speak on the chances of success, but once you submit your form, you may receive a response from the team. 

24-20-pk8hr-8o56i

Additionally, you could also reach out to one of our Shopify Experts, who you can hire to do almost any custom work on your store. They may be able to add value to your payment gateway, to ensure you are in a better position for applying if you are unsure of anything.

Best of luck with this, my friend!

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Hank,

Thanks for your reply. We'll do what you suggested.

Please note, we are not a Shopify store owner itself, but rather we want to make a plugin that other Shopify store owners can insert into their checkout to do the above.

0 Likes