Manual ordering / arranging of shipping options

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
88 0 19

Yep, totally fair. The other side of the coin: shops without a local pickup option via a shipping rate, or with only one shipping rate option, it's a very good thing to have a rate selected by default. It removes a hurdle to checking out, reduces errors and speeds up the process. 

That's all to say, we have some work to do :)

UX Researcher | Shopify
2 Likes
Excursionist
21 0 6

Totally agreed for speed of use that it should select a rate by default. But it would be nice to specify what that rate would be! :)

The Future Kept is an online purveyor of well designed, durable, meticulously chosen goods for you to cherish and keep.
1 Like
Excursionist
18 0 19

Shopify - Just to reinforce how important offering a Collection option is in the UK:

1. Recent research by the University of Southampton found that 35% of online shoppers use Click & Collect and this is set to double by 2017.

2. Rules on permitted development are being changed to permit retailers to make changes to premises to facilitate Click & Collect without planning permission.

I don't know about other countries but it's clearly it's a big thing in the UK.

2 Likes
Excursionist
18 0 19

Update:  After 8 days trading with Responsive Checkout the error rate is 10%.  An improvement on the 20% error rate with standard checkout but still too high, every 10th order a customer hasn't seen that 'Collection In Person' option is set as a default. 

1 Like
Shopify Partner
152 0 16

Shipping options in thу new Checkout definitely look much better. But an ability to manually order them still is needed.

★ Shopify Customer/Order Auto Tag App → 99rabbits.com ★
3 Likes
Explorer
102 0 27

Up ↑

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
28 0 7

While this isn't a prefect fix, I have implemented a workaround that removes some of the likelihood of human error/trying to cheat the system when it comes to offering local pickup.

This is the brief overview: on a client's site, below the checkout button, I added a checkbox that the customer can check if they want to pick up their order. If the customer checks the checkbox, a "local pickup" product gets added to their cart with a very high weight. On the shipping side of things, I have added a rate called "Pick-Up My Order" which is only triggered if a very high weight is in the cart. In this case, I set the local pickup product to weigh 5000 kg. So, if they don't check the checkbox, the Pick-Up My Order method isn't visible. If they do check the checkbox, it is.

Setting up the pick-up product and corresponding weight is simple enough, but some coding is required to add the product to the cart when clicking the checkout button. I also made it so if the item is already in the cart (someone goes back to shop some more) and doesn't check the button again, the pick-up product and thus the shipping option is removed.

2 Likes
3 0 0

care to share the code Andrew?

Also I'd like to say it's ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed yet - it's been requested over and over since 2008. I'm getting customers literally everyday making mistakes by not realising they selected local pickup. I then have to either pay for their $10 postage or ask them for to pay more. This is unprofessional and damaging to the customer relationship. Please fix this Shopify.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
28 0 7

Ash, I plan on it but finding time to explain the solution in an easy to replicate manner has taken a back seat to other work. I'll update this thread when I've written something about it.

0 Likes
3 0 0

cheers

0 Likes