Manual ordering / arranging of shipping options

Excursionist
43 0 4

Nicole  - the same for us. Sadly  I have taken it off my site it was causing too much customer confusion and irritation to staff. This is s significant glitch for a shopping cart trying to pick up clicks and mortar operators

0 Likes
1 0 1

I'm new to Shopify but this shipping issue is perplexing. I have four physical stores. Here's what I'd like...

1. Rather than customers having to fill out shipping info if they will be picking up, the first question should be:

"will you require shipping or will you pick up from one of our locations?"

Two options (radio buttons) that when selected either brings them to pick up location options or shipping info options.

Am I oversimplifying this?

1 Like
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

My opinion to solve this is Shopify to do one of the following:

1, The simpliest way: do not preselect the first option in shihipping options list if there are more than one shipping option - in this way the customer will be forced to perform an action and select one

or

2. let us sort how we want the shipping options list

or

3. let us select the default option and not to preselect the first one available 

I know they push the Shopify Plus subscription, but this behavior of selecting shipping by customers can be a deal-vreaker for the other shops that are on one of the common SHopify subsrciptions.

I can tell you that, even I love the Shopify platform, we've already started to look for a replacement.

2 Likes
9 0 0

Our requests are falling on deaf ears folks. I originally posted this request OVER 2 YEARS AGO and haven't had a single response from shopify. I think what we need to understand is that this is not a technically difficult thing to implement but it goes against their ethos of 'helping online businesses'. They have no interest in helping any business that has an offline or brick and mortar element to it. Bear this in mind when signing up, not every feature request will be implemented, no matter how much it's needed.

We've been developing a new site and will switch over in the new year but this issue is still causing us untold grief, with nearly every order having wrong shipping options selected. Having to call up customers, send them a PayPal request for the delivery fee and waiting on that money to be paid before dispatching an order is no way to do business. Customers get annoyed, and shop elsewhere on their next order. Loyalty can only take you so far, if customers have to jump through hoops, they will simply go to a competitor. 

Good luck to everyone looking to get this resolved, I hope shopify sort it soon but it will come too late for us. The faith lost in the platform is irreversible. 

I will say that if we didn't have physical shops to consider then shopify would be ideal, great interface, product management, pos integration etc but unfortunately it's not online only for many small businesses, especially in the uk. Best of luck :))

Chris Antoniou - http://www.chrisantoniou.co.uk
0 Likes
9 0 0

Our requests are falling on deaf ears folks. I originally posted this request OVER 2 YEARS AGO and haven't had a single response from shopify. I think what we need to understand is that this is not a technically difficult thing to implement but it goes against their ethos of 'helping online businesses'. They have no interest in helping any business that has an offline or brick and mortar element to it. Bear this in mind when signing up, not every feature request will be implemented, no matter how much it's needed.

We've been developing a new site and will switch over in the new year but this issue is still causing us untold grief, with nearly every order having wrong shipping options selected. Having to call up customers, send them a PayPal request for the delivery fee and waiting on that money to be paid before dispatching an order is no way to do business. Customers get annoyed, and shop elsewhere on their next order. Loyalty can only take you so far, if customers have to jump through hoops, they will simply go to a competitor. 

Good luck to everyone looking to get this resolved, I hope shopify sort it soon but it will come too late for us. The faith lost in the platform is irreversible. 

I will say that if we didn't have physical shops to consider then shopify would be ideal, great interface, product management, pos integration etc but unfortunately it's not online only for many small businesses, especially in the uk. Best of luck :))

Chris Antoniou - http://www.chrisantoniou.co.uk
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
28 0 7

As a stop-gap solution, you can create a special product that will trigger a local pickup shipping option. In my example, the local pickup product weighs 10000 kgs. If this product is in the cart, a free "Local Pickup" shipping option will become available. If it is not in the cart, then the regular shipping calculations will apply. And, because it is free, it will always be the first selected option even if the store has other more expensive shipping options.

You can see a working demo here:

http://local-pickup-implementation.myshopify.com

Add the t-shirt to the cart, then you'll notice a checkbox below the "Checkout" button on the cart page to enable local pickup. I didn't do anything to hide the local pickup product from the cart when it is in the cart, but this would be easy enough to do via editing the cart template (you wouldn't want anyone adding 5 units of local pickup, for instance, as it'd throw off the weight calculation).

Start by creating a local pickup product and give it a weight that far exceeds the typical weight of an order. Use this weight to then create a corresponding shipping option. From here, you'll need to edit your theme to include the code to add/remove the product from the cart.

This should work with any theme, but will require some customization to integrate it. The code is found here and should be saved a a javascript (.js) file (I named it "local-pickup.js" in this example) in the assets folder of the theme. Include this file on the cart page, and ensure that the Shopify API file is also included:

{% if template == 'cart' %}
{{ 'api.jquery.js' | shopify_asset_url | script_tag }}
{{ 'local-pickup.js' | asset_url | script_tag }}
{% endif %}

In my code snippet, the variant of the local pickup product will need to be updated to reflect the variant id of the local pickup product in your store. To get the variant id, append ".json" to the url of local pickup product you created in the Shopify dashboard. This will load the product's json object where you can find the variant's id. Look for this bit:

"variants":[{"id":

then copy the variant's id and replace the variant id on this line of code:

var pickupVariantId = 2882127043;

If the local pickup checkbox isn't showing up, ensure that you have the correct element identified as the button area variable. You set this here:

var buttonArea = $('#cart .cart-buttons'); // where to insert the option

This will vary depeding upon the theme.

I hope this helps all of you having trouble with local pickup.

3 Likes
Excursionist
20 0 40

All orders placed through our online shop can also be picked up from one of 3 physical shops. Any workarounds for this type of setup because i can tell you the last 2 weeks have been absolute hell :(

0 Likes
1 0 0

I have the same issues, causes roughly 10-20% of orders being incorrect. Laurentiu suggestion of numbering has solved some of the issues but not all, in the case where collection is free and there is a postage charge, it will always default to the free option. As I am a developer maybe I should look into the option of making a plugin for it...

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 1

Andrew, your workaround is very elegant, and after some frustration around figuring out the button variable, I have implemented it in my store.

Previously I was having people use a discount code for free shipping, but I feel this will be way easier for the customers.

Any suggestions as to how you would have it hidden in the shopping cart?  I don't really know code, all of my customization has come from fiddling around with code I have found on here.

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

This is really infuriating, i have the same problems now and i'm starting to worry that we took shopify over small issues that are absolute basics that can't be fixed even if you know how to work in code.

0 Likes