Multiple currencies and payment method by country

Jasmina_Ćorović
Tourist
6 0 3

I love Shopify for quite a few things, but you guys are really making it hard for non-US based shops to expand our business outside of our countries.

Shopify has been having complaints for years about multiple currency checkout, and that still hasn't been addressed. My store is based in Serbia, which has it's own currency, and majority of my clients are domestic. Serbian dinar is not supported by PayPal, so when I switched the primary currency to EUR to be able to offer my products to international customers, my Serbian customers are very unhappy to see their checkout and e-mail invoice in EUR.

Additionaly, I really need to be able to offer payment method based on the customer's billing address. This is EXTREMELY important, as in Serbia I offer COD, which is obviously not possible for any orders outside of Serbia, and to international customers PayPal is the only option. Also, I am legally not allowed to accept PayPal payments from customers in Serbia, and what I am dealing with right now is that PayPal option is first and takes up half the screen, COD option is second, and so small on the screen that a lot of my Serbian customers miss it. I have had more abandoned checkouts in the last week since I switched primary currency to EURO and implemented PayPal, than in the last 6 months combined. Remember, majority of my customers are still Serbian, and Shopify checkout literally makes them "second-grade citizens".

This lack of super important features for non-$ and non-€ based shops that want to expand their businesses to other territories is extremely annoying, and I feel that I am losing money staying on Shopify. I know that there is so many of you out there with the same problem, please let me know if you managed to find a solution. Migrating to a different platform at this point when I am so used to Shopify is a pain in the a**, but if I cannot solve the above, I am afraid it will be the only option. 

Shopify, please, please, please, make this happen. Thank you.

0 Likes
Karlie_old
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
112 0 6

Hello Jasmina! 

Kassey here from the Shopify Guru Team! I definitely see where you're coming from! Have you tried using an app from the Shopify app store? There are quite a few that would help you run a store that accepts multiple forms of currency! Specifically the apps Geolizer and Multiple Currency Pricing as they look like they would be beneficial to your business plan. Another option would be to use this doc to add multiple currencies manually to your shop. 

I hope these help, but if you have any further questions - be sure to reach out to Shopify support!

Kassey S
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Jasmina_Ćorović
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi Kassey,

these apps do not solve the problem of multiple currency checkout or payment method based on country, which are my my main issues right now...

0 Likes
krneticz
1 0 0

Is this problem solved by any of the available options? Just to confirm the problem:

Different payment option need to be offered depending of the visitor country. Concretely, for visitors from Serbia ONLY cache on delivery option should be offered, and for visitors outside of Serbia PayPal (and any other that cache on delivery) option should be offered?

If this is not solved by any of the apps or Shopify options (e.g. is this available in "Shopify" plan?) can private or custom app be built to solve this problem? Does Shopify API available for "Basic Shopify" or "Shopify" allows for this kind of functionality? What are other ways to customise the checkout page?

Thanks,

Zoran

0 Likes
Huib
1 0 0

Hi Kassey,

We need the same solution.

We sell in the US and Europe and need to be able to use different payment methods and settlement banks depending on country and currency.  Those apps do not do that.  How do we set that up?

The payments streams belong to the sales of different legal entities in different countries and cannot get intermingled by a central settlement - never mind exchanging currencies back and from.

Thanks,

Huib

0 Likes