Multiple currency check out

Tourist
10 0 6

About two years ago Lenneke Klomp asked a question about accepting multiple currencies at check out, someone from Shopify said the limitation to only one default currency is because of the limitation in payment gateways. This is not true at all. Most major gateways accept multiple currencies. 

To me as an operator, it is very important for my customers to pay in a currency they are comfortable with. We have been allowing all major international currencies through PayPal in a self-hosted platform for our online shop. This limitation in Shopify to accept only one default currency at checkout is a major reason we are skeptical to migrate. It also makes us doubt about Shopify's commitment to real international ecommerce.

So here is the question: will this limitaion be eradicated soon?

4 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
238 0 22

Hey there!

I'm Daryoush, on the Shopify Guru team! :)

You are absolutely correct, currently our built-in checkout page (checkout.shopify.com) solely accepts the store's default currency, and not multiple currencies. This is a vital topic our developers have discussed, and a multiple currency checkout may be a feature in the near future. I want to express that we understand this is what our merchants want for their stores, so we are treating it as a serious request. The product prices can be displayed in a number of different currencies, either by customizing the code or with one of our automatic currency switcher apps.

Thank you so much for your feedback, we truly appreciate it. We encourage you to contact us in the future to see if this feature is implemented.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to give us a call or start a live chat at any time, we are open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to help! Have a lovely weekend!

Cheers,
Daryoush

1 Like
Shopify Partner
36 0 5

Hi Daryoush,

It's really nice news. Recently we consider migrating to another shopping cart because of the multiple currency checkout. If it is available in near future, I don't need the migration.

Can you show different payment methods by currency? I need special payment methods for some countries like Indonesia and Malaysia.

Do you expect to activate that functionality within this year ahead?

1 Like
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
238 0 22

Hey Chang!

I very much understand and agree with you on this topic, it is an important feature. You can enable multiple payment methods in "Settings" -> "Payments", they are all for the default currency. There is not a timeline for this functionality, hopefully it will be in the horizon for the future!

Cheers,
Daryoush

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
36 0 5

Hi Daryoush,

Thank you for your reply.

But I'm talking about multiple currency checkout.

We need different payment method for each currency.

For example, if we accept USD and MYR, customers pay by USD through Paypal. But most of Malaysian customers don't use Paypal. We need MOLPay payment gateway for Malasian customer. Different payment gateway for each currency. It's very important. 

Thanks,

Shin

1 Like
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
238 0 22

Hey Chang!

That is correct, our checkout uses the default currency in the store for all payment gateways. PayPal will also automatically use the store's default currency which is located in "Settings" -> "General".

Cheers,
Daryoush

0 Likes
1 0 8

This is so frustrating. I sent over a month for setting up my store in 4 currencies and different languages etc. Spent money for themes, extra money for custom coding and apps. After all of this it appeared I can't run my shop because there is 1 currency display in checkout, meaningless which currency my customer choose in storefront. Where is logic here? 
What for is setting currency switcher in storefront if customer will see different currency in the end, while checkout? This is so basic I have never thought about this while starting on this platform. And I am forced to quit now, because there is no way my customer will go through checkout if he won't see final price in domestic currency. How do I explain to my customer that he saw on the website his national currencies but it is not in checkout anymore? Total disaster. It makes shopify only a domestic ecommerce platfrom. You can't have international sales without such a basic thing. I totaly can't undestand this, neither my customer will. Why such a major issue is not fixed yet and is not even in the "timeline"? Is this issue really not important for you? I don't believe only few people have the same problem as I do.  

8 Likes
2 0 1

If they don't do something quick....more and more customers will see themselves forced to swich...all this answers so far are disatisfying because this is a change in the sistem....i think this is something they did not take into consideration when they built the platform and now to implement this stores need to be "paused" for implementing such a change....and by analyzing the cost of loss / gain...they preffer to lose customers....that is why al, their answers are so...not really adressing the issue...typically corporate answers.....i am confused as well in what o should do...but i think changing to another platform soon...more flexible...

0 Likes
4 0 0

I guess Auto Currency Switcher app guys have found some solution for multi currency checkout in shopify. They shared me the link of following store: https://www.scoreband.net

The store is using multi currency checkout by the help of Auto Currency Switcher(https://apps.shopify.com/auto-currency-switcher) app team. Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Amit,

It is still not fixing the problem. It displays local currency on pages and in cart and then switches to USD in checkout...

0 Likes