Multiple currency check out

2 0 0

Thank you Bry!

It sounds like WooCommerce will be best for me as well. I'm encouraged to hear you've successfully (almost!) moved over. I will start the same process tomorrow I think. The fact that I'm this frustrated at Shopify functionality before going live is a sign that it's not to be. A real shame as so much else about it is just so nice and simple.

Good luck with your go-live  : )

0 Likes
1 0 0

Thank you for all your ocntributions on this page. You have helped me understand this topic. I hope someone from shopify updates the discussion with their timeline soon. We are as eager as all of you are to see it happen and if it doesn't we will start to for another platform. 

0 Likes
1 0 1

After spending a considerable amount of time and money building my new store, I discover this. I will continue on with Shopify at this point but it is likely to cause major issues for us and lose customers.

Shopify, please consider adding multiple currency support at the checkout. It is essential for merchants who deal with international customers.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I, too, am having this issue. I use the Bold Multi-Currency app to switch currency pricing. I am fine with the product price showing in my default currency rather than the chosen currency. However, I have a set conversion rate for different currencies and it's not reflecting in Checkout. It still uses the product's default price instead of the converted price (base on the custom rate). As such, we will be losing $$ if we decide to sell in other currencies.

I have been looking for a solution but so far, it has not yielded any promising results. Anyone have this issue or know how to solve it?

0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 9

You need Bold Cashier for this to work with your set currency exchange rate. https://boldcommerce.com/cashier/

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried playing around with Bold Cashier. We are currently using PayPal to check out. We just want to display the price in the checkout page in the local currency (calculated base on the custom exchange rate). I don't see that in Bold Cashier. I see the option for Braintree PayPal which doesn't look like it's the same as PayPal.

I have poured through their FAQ and guides on their site but have not been able to figure out how to get it to do what I want.

0 Likes
4 0 0

Just Checked your website, and I wasn't able to check out in my home currency which is GBP. Your website is in dollars and there aren't any options to convert prices to GBP.

0 Likes
4 0 0

I have done research Into the Third party Bold Cashier app. Here is a Reddit post about a customers experience 

" That's why everybody with a bit of experience wants Shopify to finally integrate multi-currency support for everybody, not just their >$2k/M Plus Plan so that we can sue their asses in case they don't feel responsible for losses. Cashier won't pay shit.

You're basically responsible for installing 3rd party software and will have to swallow any losses that come with relying on a 3rd party solution which has no accountability."

The bold Chasier app is outside of Shopify which means that if anything goes wrong Shopify won't be able to help, and we'd have to rely on Bold which is a third-party application. And essentially have to wait for them to fix and repair your code if there is a problem, and who knows how long that would take. And every hour/day/week waiting means no sales. 

In addition, I went to look at Bold's bad reviews and found complaints such as the service allows you to pad conversion prices for profit but then is removed at the checkout. Resulting in the customer being spooked by suddenly having cheaper prices. In addition, the service apparently sometimes 10x or 100x your prices for no reason which would obviously lead to a surplus of abandon carts. Lastly Sometimes apparently their checkout slows your website if not crashes it. 

All the above issues essentially lead to lost business which absolutely nothing can be done about, apart from complaining to the third party service which obviously can't recover your sales. Imagine running an expensive Ad and then the checkout breaks and all efforts are lost because they can't act right smh.

Is this most peoples experience, or does this only happen to a minority of people?

I need to free currency converted does work really nice :)

0 Likes
4 0 0

I have done research Into the Third party Bold Cashier app. Here is a Reddit post about a customers experience 

" That's why everybody with a bit of experience wants Shopify to finally integrate multi-currency support for everybody, not just their >$2k/M Plus Plan so that we can sue their asses in case they don't feel responsible for losses. Cashier won't pay shit.

You're basically responsible for installing 3rd party software and will have to swallow any losses that come with relying on a 3rd party solution which has no accountability."

The bold Chasier app is outside of Shopify which means that if anything goes wrong Shopify won't be able to help, and we'd have to rely on Bold which is a third-party application. And essentially have to wait for them to fix and repair your code if there is a problem, and who knows how long that would take. And every hour/day/week waiting means no sales. 

In addition, I went to look at Bold's bad reviews and found complaints such as the service allows you to pad conversion prices for profit but then is removed at the checkout. Resulting in the customer being spooked by suddenly having cheaper prices. In addition, the service apparently sometimes 10x or 100x your prices for no reason which would obviously lead to a surplus of abandon carts. Lastly Sometimes apparently their checkout slows your website if not crashes it. 

All the above issues essentially lead to lost business which absolutely nothing can be done about, apart from complaining to the third party service which obviously can't recover your sales. Imagine running an expensive Ad and then the checkout breaks and all efforts are lost because they can't act right smh.

Is this most peoples experience, or does this only happen to a minority of people?

I need to admit the free currency converter does work really nice :)

0 Likes
18 0 0

I can't believe Shopify is still willing to lose customers over multicurrency checkout....over a year later.

I am in the process of installing Bold Multicurrency and Cashier now.  So far, everything looks great and functional, select currency, see all new currency, check out in selected currency....  That is, until Shopify reenters the picture with their auto order confirmation which cannot be turned off it seems.  Check out in foreign currency went well, but customer receives an email in default currency still....so confusing for them.  Bold has been able to add a line that says, "You paid X in Y currency", but not sure if it is enough.

I am thinking maybe it is best to remove all pricing info on the order confirmation and try to find an app that auto sends another email (I know, too many emails already) with a correct summary of what they paid.

If that doesn't work...off to Woocommerce.

0 Likes