My customer's card is being declined but they told me it was charged.

Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm confused because my customer made a purchase but it was declined due to insufficient funds even though they told me they were charged. Would the reason this happened be because I have to manually capture the payment ? I changed to this to avoid charge backs and thus not hopefully not have my funds held.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 271

Hey, @senorlovedaddy!

When operating a store, you can choose one of two methods to capture payment: 

• Automatic - Immedatily charges your customers card once the order is finalized. 
  • Manual - Allows you to manually charge the card up to seven days after the customer has made the request. This will "authorize" the amount, but not fully charge the card. 

If your customer attempted to pay for the order but received "insufficient funds" as the error code, but they see the amount appear on their card, then this would be an "authorization" and not a charge. Authorizations will drop off their card within three business days. They would need to use a card that has sufficient funds to place an order with your store. Until then, an order should not appear in your "orders" section.

Do you see this customers order appear in the "Orders" section, or the "Abandon cart" section of your admin?

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes