My first chargeback -Advice needed!

Solved
Tourist
15 0 0

Hello, I received a notice from Shopify that there has been a chargeback from one of my customers.  This is the first time I have had a chargeback.  After reading the Shopify help file, I am not sure what is the best way to proceed.  Here are the details:

1. OCT 10: Customer placed her order for $33.95

2. OCT 15: Tracking Info provided to customer

3. NOV 11: Tracking info shows package received

4. NOV 18: Chargeback on my account.  Reason: Item not received.

The payment method is Shopify Payments.

Looking at this, I see the supplier I used took 25 days to get the item to the customer.

My product page states that order processing using takes 48 hours and afterwards shipping takes between 4-24 days.

I can see that the shipping time with this order might be the issue.  This is the longest shipping time I have seen with any order I placed, even with the same supplier.  However, the item was received on Nov 11th and the customer waited 7 days to file the chargeback.

Does anyone have advice about what I should do?  I thought I had better ask advice from this forum before trying to contact the customer because, having never dealt with a customer for this reason,  I am not sure if contacting her will only exacerbate the problem?

In my appeal, is there any information that I should include?  The Shopify dashboard says it will automatically send the information to the credit card company, and it seems to mean that it will also include the tracking information?

I will deeply appreciate any help or advice you can offer.  Thank you for taking the time to read this question!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
497 13 115

Hey, @brightlife!

Aria here, one of the Social Care gurus at Shopify.

I'm sorry to hear you've had this experience. Chargebacks are always frustrating.

I would always recommend sending your own evidence for chargebacks. Yes, Shopify will send it on your behalf but you should be in control of telling the bank your side of the story and giving them all of the proof you have. Include tracking information, any communication with the supplier and anything else you have that would confirm what has actually happened.

It could be worth contacting the buyer. Show them the tracking information and ask if there has been some mistake. It's possible they could cancel the chargeback but I wouldn't rely on that.

I agree the shipping time is long. People are used to ordering from Amazon and receiving their purchases incredibly fast. If you want to dropship from China, make sure you only sell products which ship with ePacket. Check with your suppliers if you're unsure.

Another option is to dropship from the US. I'm not sure what type of products you sell but it's worth looking at the following apps for suppliers:

This guide explains more about managing chargebacks.

Let me know if you have more questions. I hope it gets resolved in your favour.

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Tourist
15 0 0

Thank you for all the helpful advice!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
497 13 115

Any time!

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes