NEED to truly reset a payment method

Highlighted
3 0 0

Our provider is payfast. When users buy, they get sent to payfast, payment is processed, and funds show in our payfast account. BUT, the user is then returned to our shopify site with an error box "Your payment can't be processed for technical reasons." Shopify does NOT process their order at all. Thus they have paid, and get nothing.

We have tried the sandbox (same error), and we have tried to remove the merchant ID and key...BUT they re-appear on reload. We have tried to delete the payment method, but it only gets deactivated and reactivated the same state. We believe if we can truly clear the payment method we can simply re-add it and it'll work...it's corrupted in shopify records. 

Please help us!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
237 24 32

Hi, @!

Rose here from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out!

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your payment gateway. I'd like to look into this for you in detail.

First, I will need a bit more information to properly troubleshoot this. Can you let me know what country you are in, link your Shopify store (myshopify.com URL) and provide a screenshot of the error box you mentioned? With that context, I will be able to take a deeper look into this.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers!

Rose | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Rose,

My site is www.2ott.co.za, and is powered by Shopify.

It has worked perfectly with payfast for a year, but recently I suspended activity for a few months. Upon re-opening my site, I am finding that payfast transactions are failing as follows:

User selects payfast checkout
User is redirected to payfast
Payment details are processed by payfast, and a confirmation message is presented on the payfast site
User gets an SMS from their bank, our payfast account shows the funds are received
BUT, user is then redirected to my site, and shopify shows an error message that the transaciton failed. The exact wording is “Your payment can't be processed for technical reasons.”

We have tried:
A different PC, a mobile phone, and a PC with incognito mode (to avoid cookie issues)...all had the same error
Changing to a sandbox test payment account…same error
Updating, then changing, our theme…same error
Starting a completely new shopify store from scratch, adding payfast with the same merchant key and ID…same error.

Contacting Payfast who assure us the account is verified and should be working perfectly. As far as they are concerned, that the funds were deducted from the usr, and that they gave us a success message, means this is a shopify issue. We definitely argued at length that it could be the return code they are sending to shopify, but they claim that then all of their users would be failing, and that is not the case. They guided us to reset the merchant key and ID, which of course we did.

Some info that may help you:
The Payfast URL upon entry:
https://sandbox.payfast.co.za/eng/process/payment?p-sb=c4lebdq1uap0m8ddg8emfb66j4#wa
The payfast URL upon success:
https://sandbox.payfast.co.za/eng/process/finish?p-sb=c4lebdq1uap0m8ddg8emfb66j4
The URL when redirected back to our site:
https://2ott.co.za/20666579/checkouts/6a4346b618741813976d0168727e0383?validate=true
The shopify generated error message, which isn’t very helpful:
Your payment can’t be processed for technical reasons. Try again or use a different payment method.

Kind regards
AsianGrey

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
237 24 32

Hi, @AsianGrey!

Thank you for that context. 

I would like to look into this further for you and access your account for more details on the situation. I will send you an email directly so we may continue our conversation from there.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers!

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello, 

I am experiencing the EXACT same thing. If you were able to resolve this issue, please explain to me how to rectify it from my side too .

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
237 24 32

Hi, @Loula-Belle !

Thanks for reaching out about this.

I would like to look into this deeper for you but first, I was wondering if you could provide me with a bit more context:

• Can you tell me the steps that are followed that leads to the error message after payment?
  • Is this issue consistent on multiple browsers - if so, which ones?
  • Have you always had this issue or is it a recent occurence?
  • Would you happen to have examples of abandoned carts related to this issue? 
  • Can you send us a screenshot of the error?

If you can provide the above context along with your store URL, I will be happy to investigate further.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Hello Rose,

My Shopify shop is just over two weeks old. I have experienced this issue from the start.

Here it is, broken down, step by step:

Client buys something and checks out using Payfast.
Client gets bank notification that transaction was successful
Payfast sends me a notification that a payment to my shop has been made successfully
Client see a message on the screen saying the transaction was not successful due to technical error, please try again later
Shopify records it as an "abandoned checkout"
I then go in and manually record the transaction

Someone mentioned it may be an integration setting with my payment gateway and Shopify.

I am not at all tech savvy, so I am really lost.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
237 24 32

Thank you so much for that context, @Loula-Belle !

Would you be able to send me your store URL so I may take a look into this with our technical team?

Looking forward to your reply! 

Cheers,

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Re-sale-therapy.myshopify.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi there

I’m having the same issue with my shop. 

- Customer checks out and is redirected for payment with payfast

- payment is successfully made And the money is deposited into my payfast account. 
- customer is then redirected back to the store but receives an error message in a red block saying that there is an error with the payment. But the payment was successful. They then don’t receive any order email nor do I. It sits in my abandoned checkout. 

please can you assist? 
regards 

Robyn 

0 Likes