NEW ORDER FRAUDULENT?

Highlighted
1 0 0

I received an order on my Shopify store this weekend. The Shopify fraudulent level is LOW, however after doing a quick google search of the address, I’m skeptical. It seems to go to a MyUs.com address. Has anyone ever Fulfilled an order from a MyUs location address? How can I verify the authenticity of this order?

This is the address from then “buyer”.

4283 Express Lane 
Suite 625-782
Sarasota FL 34249
United States

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
523 1 101

Hey, Kevin!

My name is Alex, I'm a guru here at Shopify!

Completely understand your concern!  This is a third party service so I'm not intimately versed on the particulars, but it my understanding is that MyUS.com is a service allowing customers outside the US to order from stores that don't ship to wherever they're located.  The order gets shipped to MyUS.com, and then they package and ship those items to the customer's location - there's more info on their page here.

My personal feeling is that customers ordering in bad faith likely wouldn't go to the additional trouble and expense of using a service like this to place their orders - but I can absolutely understand your concern regarding verification of this customer.  If you're unsure that you'd like to fulfill this order, you could always reach out to that customer via email (or phone, if they've provided this information) to verify their details, ask for their actual mailing address, and find out why it is that they're using this service.  Most of the time, if the order was placed by someone with fraudulent intent, they won't bother following up with you; based on their response, you can make your decision as to whether or not you'd like to fulfill this order.  There's a little more detail on investigating suspicious orders right over here!

Ultimately, the decision on whether or not you'd like to accept the risk associated with this order is up to you; I've worked with merchants that fulfill every order regardless of the risk level involved, and merchants that will refuse to fulfill any order they're not 100% certain is completely valid.  Once you've followed up with that customer, you can decide for yourself if that's an order that's worthwhile to fulfill.

Hope that's helped!  Please feel free to let me know, and you can always give us a call or start a live chat at any time.  We're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

Cheers,

Alex | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
153 0 9

Hi!

I'm Michael from Fulfillrite.com, a Shopify fulfillment partner.

First of all, great catch! It is definitely better to be safe than sorry in this area. When the address is a red flag, you open yourself up to potential credit card fraud as well. (It's one of the reasons we implemented Address Verification on all our outgoing shipments.) So even if this address checks out, you'll be happy you took the time to verify.

Alex gave a great response. There are lots of legitimate parcel forwarding services, which are used by customers from other countries or for when they will not be able to receive regular deliveries. Alex's advice regarding contacting the customer is on target, and I just want to add that we have taken that route ourselves, and it usually is the best way to go. One comment: The phone is your friend. Call up the customer. You will know pretty quickly if there is anything to be concerned about. You can't protect yourself from everything, but unless the item ordered is worth oodles of cash on the black market, fraudsters, like roaches, disappear when you turn on the light!

Best of luck and hope some of this helps!

Michael

e-commerce order fulfillment made fast. simple. easy. www.fulfillrite.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Have exactly the same story, and I was worried because it was a large order. Checked myus.com and it is a building next door with a different pĥone number. tried calling myus.com and wrote twice to inquire if it was also their building and they never answered. I finally cancelled, because I offered to ship directly to the country of this person and she came up with a different adress thatn the billing adress, asked her many times, why she was not using the billing adress, she never answered and suddenly offered me a po box adress in Kuwait... ?? So, told her, that myus.com did not macth this us adress she gave me and that she never answered either. 

She was telling me to stop wasting her time and to ship.. well, well,, told her, if she simply answered right away, we would not be wasting any time and, when I mentionned that someone asking to ship to a different adress than the billing and not explaining why,could look a fraud, she disapeared.

I cancelled, because the whole thing was nonsense.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

We had the same problem. The direction we shipped the order was

4283 Express Lane
Suite 6501-894
Sarasota FL 34249

We did send all documents, e-mails, delivery date and got the message that the customers bank will take a look at the documents and decide if they will pay the store back or not.  

Did anybody had issue like like with a happy end? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

These guys are fraudulent.  They have our products on their site https://mycampingtoor.com/ for a fraction of what our cost is and we're the manufacturer. 

We are sending cease and desist letters but these will take time to enforce.  I do have a question, since they are running a Shopify store w/fraudulent items, meaning, they are not an authorized dealer and can not fulfill what they are selling, is there a way to report them to Shopify for removal?

Product Confirmed Fraudulent

https://mycampingtoor.com/products/mct%C2%AE-premium-car-roof-top-3-person-tent-for-camping

As the manufacturer and the person who authorizes dealers... I can confirm this is not an authorized seller.  We do not sell to this company and will not fulfill any orders from them.

Monica Bonin 

CEO | Tuff Stuff Overland

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
134 5 19

While not all customers who use a ship forwarding service like MyUS.com are intending to commit fraud, it does happen and it has a bit riskier profile than a normal order. 

We're also seeing a trend in consumers using a lot more cross-border shipping services as well and the best way to verify these customers is to look at all the data available (phone number, IP, email address, name, etc...) and finally reaching out to the customer.

If you don't hear back from the customer, then it's safe to assume something is wrong, and canceling the order would be your best option.

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon. https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
134 5 19

Hi @tsoverland 

I'm sorry to hear about your issue with another merchant copying your product. Shopify does have a reporting feature here. https://www.shopify.com/legal/report-aup-violation

I hope this helps you. 

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon. https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

No, this specific company is fraudulent.  There is no doubt.  I am the manufacturer of one of the products that they are trying to take money for w/out the ability to procure.  I also tried calling and emailing them using their own contact information.  Neither is valid.

This company needs to be removed from Shopify by Shopify.  It looks like the dates on this thread go back at least a year.  Today would be a good day to remove them so that they cannot take advantage of any other customers or businesses.

I've also filed a complaint w/Shopify.

Monica Bonin | CEO
EcomAutomotive, Inc. dba Tuff Stuff Overland, Tuff Stuff 4x4
a: 2205 South Wright Street, Santa Ana, CA 92705
w: www.TuffStuffOverland.com | o: 866.220.0171

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hello

Did you speak with Shopify through the Chat way. They are quite helpful. 
And  type fraud in their search engine, I know I read somewhere that these days, some stores  are copying others, sell their stuff for cheaper, do not deliver, close and when the customer is starting to wonder where his stuff is (they take the money and do not deliver) , they end up l coming to you thinking it is the store they ordered from.
They copy your store entirely, photos, etc
Did you also Google the problem to see what comes up on this. because the fraud being talked about above, I found it on discussions from Amazon from other sellers with the same problems
Also get an app to lock your images for no-one to pick
Thing is if they close on shopify they can reopen on a different platform...

Let us know how it turns out
0 Likes