Need help setting up Multi-currency payments

Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 0

Our customers are 50/50 Canada/USA. Our store currency is CAD. Canadian customers = no problem, see all prices in CAD, checkout displayed in CAD, they pay in CAD.

We would like the same thing for US customers - they arrive and are recognized as US, prices displayed in USD, checkout displayed in USD, they pay in USD through Shopify Payments.

We currency use BEST Currency Converter which works great except for the fatal flaw that US customers see an item is USD $35 in their cart, click CHECKOUT, and the total is $50 (it doesn't even say CAD but even if it did, our customers are sleep deprived new moms, they can be forgiven for not reading the fine print). It's confusing and they think prices have randomly jumped.

Theme is TURBO

We need some help - multi-currency is already activated and some users seem to have used it (screenshots attached of a US visitor who did and a US visitor who did not). We need advice - how do we disable our currency conversion app and test Shopify's multi-currency platform before going "live"? How can we recognize a user's location when they enter the store? Is there a recommended app for that? We do not want the user to have to "choose" their currency upon entry, we want it automatic. We use a variety of different landing pages via FB ads etc. We also need a currency selector but I think our theme's one is fairly straightforward.

Thanks for any recommendations/assistance!

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 8.40.58 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-01 at 8.41.29 AM.png

Not using multi-currency:

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 8.43.31 AM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
684 51 152

Hi, @BitsyBon!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

It makes complete sense that you'd like both Canadian and American customers to pay in their respective currencies. It sounds like you have enabled your store to sell in multiple currencies, which is a great start. However, if you are selling in multiple currencies with Shopify Payments, then you unfortunately won't be able to use a multicurrency app. In fact, multicurrency apps are not compatible with selling in multiple currencies with Shopify Payments, and this includes BEST Currency Converter. 

It's also worth noting that most themes don't include a currency selector that supports selling in multiple currencies with Shopify Payments. Because the Turbo theme is a completely third-party theme not available in the Shopify Theme Store, this is likely why your customers are having issues checking out in their own currency. Instead, you'll just need to manually add a currency selector to your theme. These instructions are tailored towards merchants selling in multiple currencies with Shopify Payments. With the currency selector, customers will have the ability to select their currency from a dropdown list and will also be able to proceed through the checkout with that particular currency.

However, you also mentioned that you'd like to automate this feature and have the currency auto-selected based on the user's location. This is definitely possible through Shopify's free Geolocation app. With this app, you won't need to manually add a currency selector to your theme and instead, customers will automatically be presented with the currency available in their country when they enter your site. This app doesn't require any coding to install and is specifically designed for merchants selling in multiple currencies using Shopify Payments. I highly recommend checking this app out, as I think it's a great solution for your business. 

Ultimately, my recommendation is to first uninstall the BEST Currency Converter app. From there, you can add the currency selector and/or install the Geolocation app. Once that's all done, you can actually test your multiple currency setup to see how it will appear from the customer's perspective. Keep in mind that both the currency selector and the Geolocation apps will also allow you to manually select currencies, so you can double check that your American customers will be able to reach the checkout with USD prices if you're not physically located in the US. 

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction! If you require any clarity or have any followup questions, please feel free to respond here.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes