Need multiple box types for different product types

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello,

I am new(ish) to Shopify and I am having a hard time figuring out shipping. We've been operating using only the USPS priority mail flat rate padded envelope for $6.90. We are looking to add a few things to our store like rings or glass water bottles. Currently, apparel is just fine in the current shipping method. However, customers will likely not pay $6.90 for a single ring, nor will a glass water bottle be protected in this envelope. I've reached out ot Shopify multiple times and no one really seems to have an answer. How would I go about setting up my shipment methods to allow for different packaging sizes, rates, etc. for my variation in products. I know there's apps for some of this but what ones would you suggest without breaking the bank since we are a startup company. Would you suggest using USPS or UPS directly through their own direct shipping programs? How would this be integrated with my shop?

Thanks

William

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3063 229 499

Hi William, 

Nick here from Shopify. ?

I completely get what you mean. With regards to reaching out to Shopify before about this, I can say, the shipping aspect and costs are not something Shopify can control in any way. For example, Shopify is not able to dictate a cheaper shipping rate with USPS or UPS. This is something either USPS, UPS or any other delivery service would have control over. 

What you can do is look into the best and most efficient way to leverage the shipping to work for you. The first thing I recommend you looking into is Shopify Shipping. Shopify Shipping display's calculated rates to your customers and get reduced shipping rates from USPS, DHL Express, and UPS. If you would like to look into some shipping apps, you can see all the Shopify related shipping apps here, which range in price. Although it has a cost attached to it, the most popular app for shipping in the app store is Better Shipping, and is at least worth a look. 

I hope this helps clarify some things and points you in the right direction for your best next step. Don't hesitate to ask should you have any other questions about anything. 

All the best, 

Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

I believe you have configured flat rate padded envelope as a flat rate in Shopify shipping? Defining rates based on different product types is not something which can be directly achieved. However, using the Multi carrier Shipping label app, you can let the app to automatically pack items based on dimensions of the product. So if your product has dimensions as 10 x 10 x 5, you can define a box with dimensions 10 x 10 x 10 such that only two of them will fit into it. Similarly for products which are smaller (2 x 3 x 4), you can define a separate box for them. This way the rates fluctuations will not happen and you will be able to show the right rates for those products. 
Screenshot 2019-10-23 at 4.51.01 PM.png

0 Likes