Need separate Canadian and US Pricing, Shipping and Fulfilment

Highlighted
1 0 0

We have Canadian and US customers. We also have a warehouse in Canada as well as the US. For multiple reasons, we think we need to have two sites - one with CDN pricing and shipping info...the other with US pricing and shipping info. I am hoping there is some way to duplicate our existing US site. I am also hoping that there is a way to set up something (maybe using Canadian and US flags) so the customer knows there is differing pricing. Maybe geo-targeting based on IP addresses? Does anyone have advice or experience in this area? We can't be the first company that has this need.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
85 0 12

Hi Carolyn,

A second site is a great idea if you are working with two different base prices and two different fulfillment locations! When it comes to duplicating the site, there is the free Shop Transfer app which will allow you to select which information you'd like to transfer over. It won't work for your theme, though this tutorial here will show you how to Export and Import themes. 

Also you can definitely geo-target your customers using the geolocation API - this article here will show you how to get a visitors location using javascript. Once you have their location, it would require some logic to identify what the theme needs to show, if you are unfamiliar with development/design, I would suggest checking out our Shopify Experts, who would be able to help you get this set up. This shop is a great example of what can be done: http://www.babytula.pl/ - you can see the flags in the top right hand corner. :) 

Cheers! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Seven years later is this still the correct approach?

We ship out of the US for US customers and out of Canada for Canadian customers. No cross border shipping and each country also has it's own pricing...they aren't based on the exchange rate from the other.

And would this require a separate Shopify account?

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0

I'm looking to have both CAN pricing and US pricing that is not based on the exchange rate. I would like to set the prices for each country manually. Do you need 2 different Shopify stores? Or can this be done a different way using location IP?

I'd like US visitors to see .com 

And Canadian visitors to see .ca

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

We were advised that two stores were necessary. 

I duplicated the US store and tweaked it for Canada. Then added a plugin that adds a banner at the top of each store giving a link to the other if their IP indicates they are on the wrong site. This gives the visitor the information to select the correct store but doesn't force it they are out of country and ordering for their return or something like that.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0

Thanks for your response.

I was hoping to be able to do this under 1 shop to keep data in one place. hummm...

What was the plugin you used to create the banner on the site that links between the 2 sites?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!!!

Shannon

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Yeah. So were we.

The plugin is GeoDirect. They support redirects, popups & banners. I didn't want to force them with a redirect so I went with a banner. Just put an html link in the text of the banner that the visitor can use.

1 Like