New edit orders feature: How to add/edit discount?

Highlighted
1 0 1

To add/edit discounts in an order is a very important feature to our store as well. CUSTOMER RELATIONS. That's what it's all about. Many customers forget to add codes, and then they contact us. It's a hassle to cancel the order and have them place it again. Other times we're on the phone with someone and we want to give them 10% off their order due to some discrepancy in the shipping, or some other reason. 

The PROBLEMS With Using Refunds as a "Workaround":

-ANALYTICS -- we cannot track data about our discount codes. This data is very useful in our financial reports and also in our marketing and sales methods.
-TAXES -- we lose an important tax deduction. A discount is handled differently because discounts are considered deductions for promotional reasons, rather than a refund which is usually for some mistake we made or a defective product, and these do not count as the same deduction
-SALES TAX -- this amount does not get adjusted with the "workaround".

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 4

I wonder when shopify will fix this...

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

Just like 

2 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
46 1 43

So there seems to be a new development here!

changelog.shopify.com 

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 19.24.42.png

1 Like
Highlighted
Explorer
46 1 43

This is how it now appears on my store:

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 19.31.01.png

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 4

That's Awesome!! thanks for updating us !

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
46 1 43

It seems like it still isn't possible to apply a discount code on an already-existing order. It also seems like it isn't possible to discount already-existing products in an order.

HOWEVER: It looks like this workaround is possible:

1. Edit order
  2. Add an already-existing product, discount it however you want to (in below example, I gave 50% discount on 1x pomelo)
  3. Remove&refund the existing product (in my example, I removed 1 pomelo)

--> This should effectively give the customer a 50% discount on this particular product in this order, without the confusion of a new order number etc. There still may be incompatibilities with other apps that don't update with an updated order, so this might not be the best solution for everyone. For us, this seems like a big improvement, though!

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 20.01.31.png

0 Likes