New set up. Do dropshippers wait for the cust payment to hit their own bank acct to fulfill?

3 0 0

Do I have to fulfill to get the cust payment released from Shopify? Or can I wait for the cust payment to hit mt bank acct & then fulfill? The latter is what I am assuming most drop shippers do. I know this is a basic noob question but I am just starting out. Thanks

-Dan

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
496 13 114

Hey, Dan!

Aria here, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

If you're using Shopify Payments, there is normally no relation between your payout date (which varies by country) and the date you fulfil the order. It will simply be paid out to your bank account a certain number of days after your customer pays. This guide has details on how long it takes for each country. The day it is paid out may not be the same day it reaches your bank account. This can also vary, depending on the processing times of the bank you use.

That being said, if you are not fulfilling your orders straight away, you will be at a higher risk of chargebacks. For this reason, our Payments team may put your payouts on hold until you start fulfilling on time. It's good practise to fulfil your orders on the same day your customer paid for it, or the next working day if they placed their order late at night. Keep in mind, dropshipping normally involves long shipping times so it's not a good idea to keep your customer waiting even longer.

Most dropshippers order from their suppliers using their own credit card as soon as the order is placed by the customer. The supplier can then ship the orders straight away and they receive their payout a couple of days later.

If you are not using Shopify Payments, I recommend you reach out to your payment gateway with questions about your payout schedule as it may be different from the above.

I understand it can be overwhelming when you're new to all of this. If you haven't already, make sure you do the free dropshipping course on Shopify Academy. There are some great marketing courses on there as well to help you drive traffic to your store.

Have a read through this post before you go live. It's a checklist on what to do to make sure your store looks professional and trustworthy. If you'd like me to provide tailored feedback for your own store after that, feel free to provide your URL.

What sort of products are you looking at selling? What sort of plans do you have for your marketing?

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
3 0 0
Hi Aria, thx for that. Okay. I understand. So for example I had an order yesterday afternoon. I just ordered it this morning via oberlo/ali. It is in processing on my oberlo. On my shopify dashboard it still says unfullfilled. What are the indications that my payment started on Shopify ? An indicator that process for my payment has began? I understood this response above to say my payment will not commence until I have ordered. Which I have & now I am looking for an indicator that my payment process has began. Shopify should have some sort of indicator on Shopify panel/db to show the payment process & what stage it is at & why( ex; stuck in step 1 because order not placed ) etc. Just a suggestion. Or are there indicators somewhere I am not seeing? Also if I ordered the order why does it still say " unfullfilled" on my shopify page but on Oberlo it says "In Processing"?

Thanks for the help!!

-Dan
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
496 13 114

It will change to a fulfilled status in the order once the Oberlo/Aliexpress supplier has marked it as fulfilled so I wouldn't be concerned about that. 

If you go to the order timeline, you will see when it is due to be paid out: 

19-11-yx0xc-udo7f

After you have received your first payout, you'll be able to view the rest of them by going to Settings > Payment Providers > View Payouts (under Shopify Payments).

The date your payout is sent has no connection to the date the order is fulfilled. The only way a delay in order fulfilment would affect your payouts is if your payouts got put on hold due to frequent delays in your fulfilment. As long as you are always ordering the products from your supplier quickly, you have nothing to worry about. 

We don't have an 'in processing' stage in the Shopify order summary, it's simply fulfilled or unfulfilled. When the supplier has shipped the product, it will be moved to fulfilled for you. Please don't ever press the fulfilment button yourself as this will mess up your order.

Does that make more sense?

0 Likes
3 0 0
Yes thank you. It all went through smoothly & now I understand the process
better.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
496 13 114

That's great to hear! 

How are things going otherwise? What is your store traffic like so far?

0 Likes