New to Shopify, have a shipping question

Solved
Bflaherty03
Excursionist
27 0 3

Setting up my first store with Shopify to do some drop shipping. I thought I figured out my problem but I feel I am wrong in my solution... Need some guidance.

I have a supplier who I have to place manual orders with once I receive the order on my store. They charge me the cost of the item and the shipping for the item. If I set my price to cover that shipping cost as part of the price of the product - do I then NOT charge shipping on the product on my store check out? 

I was thinking, "Hey free shipping for the site!" but then I run in to my other problem...

I also have products through Automizely and Oberlo that I have imported and most are free shipping but some do have shipping costs. I am a little confused on how I go about setting up the shipping portion on my site... 

0 Likes
Cal
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
984 103 164

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @!

Cal here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us. This is a great question, and there is no one-size-fits-all, perfect solution for every business.

If you opt for free shipping sitewide, and you feel that offering free shipping would be an appealing proposition to your customers, you could ensure that when setting your product prices that you pad the margin enough to cover shipping worldwide.

Alternatively, you could set up flat rates, either based on weight or price, as described here. So if someone makes a very large order, and you are confident your margin can cover the shipping costs, this might be a great way to incentivize the upsell! 

The third option, I feel, would be a per-product shipping option, as you have a number of different suppliers. We have a number of great apps in our App Store that would add that enhanced functionality. 

Let me know your thoughts! Is this your first online business? 

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Bflaherty03
Excursionist
27 0 3

Yes, this is my first attempt at starting a business in any form. I have found Shopify to be extremely helpful with all the topics and support. I am currently curating my inventory and organizing my products. I want to make sure everything is ready to go before I look at setting up the store shipping/billing/etc. I also downloaded Shopify Compass to assist with other questions too. This whole platform is very impressive. Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
Cal
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
984 103 164

It sounds like you already have the right approach, and it's great to hear that you are using Shopify Compass. It really is the best place to get to grips with how to build a successful online business with Shopify. 

When you have your store built out, don't hesitate to ask our Community feedback forum to critique the work you have done so far. Best of luck with the learning and the new business! 

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes