Non-latin characters at checkout/shipping/billing address

Highlighted
2 0 7

Hi there,

couldn't find anything helpful on this topic. Is there a way to decline all non-latin characters (e.g. Chinese, cyrillic, japanese, etc.)  for billing and shipping address?! Customs always require a translation for these orders or they will not be processed. Somebody has a solution for this?!

Thanks in advance.

6 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3386 252 602

Hi @NoeZoe,

Nick here from Shopify. Really good question!

I looked into this for you and spoke to our higher level support team about it. They mentioned this is something which wouldn't be possible if it is already possible to add these characters. 

The only way this might be possible is if you were on the Shopify Plus plan where it would allow you to edit the checkout.liquid file, but I am not 100% of that. Something I will do however is submit this as a feature request to our development team for the future. I can see how this would help and benefit your business with the example you mentioned in your post. If you could go into further detail about this and how it can help you, it would be appreciated as extra information for the feature request. Looking forward to hearing from you. 

I know this isn't exactly what you want to hear, but I hope it helps clear it up for you. 

All the best, Nick 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 6

I also believe there should be an option to block non-Latin characters. We (EU based store) recently had an order with Chinese characters and this caused problems with printing the shipping labels. According to Universal Postal Union agreement, the address should have been written in Latin characters only.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3386 252 602

Hi @Mateusz3,

Thanks for reaching out and giving this feedback. I can completely see and understand how this might be annoying or cause problems for some orders. As I mentioned above I will add this information to the feature request for our development team. Thanks. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi Nick

I would also like to know if or when this feature request becomes available. Our issue is that we cannot automate csv exports to our fulfilment/supply chain if they contain non-latin characters. This poses a significant problem for us as order volumes increase.

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3386 252 602

Hi @kangaxx,

I put through the feature request when the first message was originally posted above so the team is aware. Thank you for adding some more feedback and extra context on this. 

All I can say for now is to hold tight and keep an eye out for any potential updates on this. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hey Nick, great the team is looking at this. 

How would we know when this comes available. As for us it is also a must have for our 3PL. Currently we are paying 2000$ / year for an address (lookup) verification app. Which is ridiculous in my opinion. 

If possible it would be highly appreciated if you could please let me know what we can expect, when, and if you need beta testers.... I am all ears. 

Cheers, 

r

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3386 252 602

Hi @Canneman,

This is something where once implemented there would generally be an email sent out to notify you of any updates. I'm not sure on any timelines for product updates. For now, it's something where we will all have to sit tight on. I would love to give you more information if I could but for the moment we will have to continue to wait and see. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

We'd really like to see this added on to shopify as we have 5 separate brands/stores operating on Shopify. Our couriers do not allow none Latin characters to be entered so we're not able to process the many orders we get from Russia that include non Latin characters. We've had to cancel many orders due to this issue and are looking at alternative solutions.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
10 0 2

Everybody needs this and still no solution from shopify.

2 Likes