Northern Ireland - Separate shipping zone

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 18

I contacted @Shopify support. But it wasn't much help(not the agents fault).. 

He recommended 2 apps, which may or may not allow you to create specific zones.. But not fully sure he understood the ask.. 

I find it bizarre that you can create a shipping zone with selective locations in the 26 counties but you can't create a zone with UK, which consists of 4 entirely different countries... It's like having one zone for Europe and not being allowed to drop countries out of it...

Unfortunately I may have to look for another platform.. 

I've also posted on shopify's Facebook page..

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 19
It's a real issue for me, because I have to overcharge customers in NI for
postage from ROI. I really shouldn't have to add in an extra app because
Shopify refuses to recognise a different region
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 18

I'm in a similar boat @Deirdre_C 

Especially considering, if a customer from the mainland buys off my website, I'm not supposed to charge them vat(they pay customs fees)... But I am supposed to charge vat to customers in the North... 

@Shopify really need to take this seriously

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 12
Hi
Keep up the pressure, I was onto Shopify support explaining the whole thing yesterday and the guy, Nick said he'd get on to their shipping development team, so if you got onto them too it would help. I contacted them on chat.
Good luck, Paul
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 19
I got that reply about sending it to their dev team months ago. I've heard
nothing back about it. I'll send another email about it now.
I suspect that 1) They're holding out for Brexit. 2) There's an expensive
app that does this and they don't want to affect sales. 3) They really
don't care
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 18

Looking at the app that was recommended, looks like it may be a non-runner for 2 reasons:

1 - It seems to require real-time pricing.. From what I've seen, this is only available in the US, Canada and Australia

2 - It seems it doesn't work with certain types of shopify plans... 

Sooooo... Looks like I could be back to moving away from @Shopify 

Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 26

Hi Shopify, please can we have an update on this?  As part of Brexit, orders shipped from the mainland UK to Northern Ireland might require customs checks come January 1st, so it's important that we are able to separate England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.  Customs declarations are potentially complex and expensive, so some retailers might want to put their orders to Northern Ireland on hold until they are confident with the process, procedure and cost.

As others mention, given the additional cost of shipping across the Irish sea (and Scottish islands), we need to be able to treat Northern Ireland separately.

The United Kingdom is a political union of four unique countries.  As a comparison, the EU is a political union, but each country has it's own unique shipping rate.  The expense of upgrading to the Advanced Shopify plan is not an option for a new and small business.

Highlighted
2 0 1

Slightly different to most others, in that we can supply products to the Island of Ireland but not England, Scotland and Wales! 

Forgetting about political borders Ireland has 32 counties but only 26 listed on shopify. If the other 6 counties were added to the list, shopify would work for me! Otherwise, as said before split the UK into the four countries that make it up or add them to the list of countries. 

Is this something shopify can do. Most couriers in Southern Ireland charge the same to deliver to Northern Ireland. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 4

Hi all in Shopify any update on this issue? It is really needed, losing customers because of not being able to do it but for Brexit on Jan 1 it's now absolutely needed given the new regulatory regime.

Have looked at apps but not seeing that as an option. 

It doesn't seem like it should be a big issue to resolve given its there for lots of countries already 

Thanks for any update you can give 

Caitriona

Highlighted
1 0 2

just came across this issue and juts imagining the headaches of having to explain to NI shoppers why I have to charge more. I’m brand new to Shopify and a very very small business but maybe another voice to this issue will help. 
If it’s not resolved I’d certainly need to look elsewhere and NOT an app. Makes no sense for a new e-commerce shops to pay in one month more than they’ll  make in a few months. Let’s hope it gets resolved. 

Building http://bartape.ie one small step at a time :-)