Notifications and tracking when using a shipping service with no tracking??

6 0 0

In Canada, Shopify connects to Canada post to gets rates/services and lists them to the customer.

One of the services ("small packet air") does not provide a tracking service, although it doesn't say this in the service description.  Also, Items sent regular mail do not have tracking numbers.

The problem is that the verification email that goes out to the customer says "track this shipment to see delivery status".  When they click through, it tells them that the item has been fulfilled, but is still awaiting shipping.

Since 90%+ of my customers choose this shipping method (tracked shipping is incredibly expensive through Canada Post for some reason) or regular mail, I get a LOT of people asking me why it hasn't shipped yet, and why the tracking link doesn't work.

There are 2 important (and incredibly simple) parts to the solution as far as I can tell:

1.  Be able to add a note or change the service description to indicate that the service does not include tracking, so people know what they are getting before they buy it; and

2.  Have an option in fulfillment to click to indicate that the items will not have tracking on it, with the ability to change the "shipped" email so it does not include a tracking link that doesn't work.  

I can't be the only one having this problem, and it's causing a lot of time spent doing customer service, plus it's making customers frustrated because they are given misleading/confusing information.

95% of my customer service work is dealing with questions related to this problem.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
136 7 25

Hello!

My name is Ren from the Support team here at Shopify. I have some suggestions to help you clarify your shipping notifications to hopefully eliminate some of the customer service support debt you're incurring right now!

There are 2 main changes I'd like to suggest.

Setting more relevant expectations in your notification settings. There are 2 places you can edit the language around shipping to help your customers better understand what they can expect. From your Shopify admin, head over to Settings > Notifications and open up the Shipping Confirmation notice: 

26-01-2i2ev-br6fp

At first you'll see a bunch of code but upon hitting preview you'll see an example of what your customers see in their email. 26-01-7peln-jnou3

This would be a great place to change the language to something like, "In the event that you selected a tracked shipping method - you can view your shipment details here." Have a look through all of those notification previews to see if there are any other places you'd like to customize the message.

The next area to customize can be found at Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit languages. Here you'll want to type "shipping" into the filters:

Then you'll want to scroll down until you see "Shipping method notice.

26-08-vori6-p9ku3

Fill in the text field with a message regarding tracked VS untracked shipping to help clarify those details. Be sure to review the whole section to see if there are any other places you'd like to customize the language.

Something else to consider, is if your packages are generally flat/small and most customers opt for untracked shipping, you could always eliminate the tracked shipping option and simply create a "flat rate" shipping fee. Doing so will enable you to add "untracked" in your title field as well. You can learn more about flat rate fees here.

With all that being said, you also have the option to reach out to one of our Shopify Experts for help custom coding a message to trigger when a customer selects certain shipping methods. You can browse our marketplace of Experts here.

I hope I have been able to help! Feel free to reach back out for any clarification or help setting things up. As a fellow Canadian, I'd love to hear more about your business too! How are things going? Are there any features right now that you're lacking?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
6 0 0

Thank you for your thoughtful response. 

Having said that, I'm not sure if it directly addresses my issue.  By changing the language, I still have to dance around with  "if you chose no tracking...."

The problem is that customers do not know if they got a tracked shipping method, because it  does not say in the shipping method description.  For example in Canada "small packet air" isn't tracked (though it SEEMS like a tracked method to people).

The entire problem is that they get upset, assuming there is tracking and that it hasn't shipped yet.   It leaves it up to the client to figure out if their package is shipped or not - and that's the problem in the first place.

This doubly important for Amazon shipments, where it requires a tracking number to show as shipped.

It seems like it would be incredibly easy for shopify to add a "this method has no tracking" checkbox in the fulfillment page that would take care of all of this, and so it can send the right language, and not give the client misleading/confusing information.

My workaround is to enter a fake tracking number of "no tracking provided", hoping people will see it.  But that causes other problems.

The  other MAJOR problem is that customers don't know which services are tracked when purchasing shipping, as it doesn't say.  For regular mail, I did rename it to "regular mail - untracked" - this sort of takes care of it, but makes the other shipping methods even more confusing, because at least one of the other services isn't tracked - customers assume that since I labelled one as untracked, the others must be tracked... causing all sorts of problems when they find out it's not tracked AFTER they have already paid!

The solution to this would be to allow us to edit the names of the shipping methods.

In any case, this is something that most other selling platforms have figured out, and it's the type of change that could be done with very little changes. I"m not sure why we have to fudge things by adding confusing language, making the client figure out if something is tracked or not, wait until after purchase to tell them, and send them links that don't work or conflict.

This has caused me so many problems with customers, and like I said, Almost ALL of my customer service is dealing with this issue, it's the only thing that is making me think of switching to a different platform.   How well the platform works reflects on the quality of products, whether we like it or not, especially when it results in many customer complaints.

I would prefer that the platform not get in the way of my client satisfaction.

0 Likes
6 0 0

Oh, also - you mentioned changing "shipping method notice", however it's literally the only one without a default value, and I have no way of telling where this appears or the context.  If you can explain where/when  it appears, and what the default is, I might know better what text to put in here.  Right now, there seems to be no way to tell where this is used.

thanks

0 Likes
6 0 0

Any more ideas?   This is causing me all sorts of issues.

0 Likes
6 0 0

bump....

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
136 7 25

Hey, there.

I totally hear what you are saying and I recognize it's not ideal to rely on the customers to know which methods come with tracking and which do not. While the actual names of the shipping methods cannot be changed (since that information pulls directly from Canada Post), adding a shipping method notice in the Language Editor like mentioned above should really help mitigate this. I apologize for not having been clear on where you'll see those changes take place. Here is where that notification will appear once you add text into that field: 14-50-vi34f-9dfw4

An example of what you could write might look something like this:

14-51-bm6mw-czo1e

You can also add several paragraphs worth of text into this field so you likely won't need to worry about running into a character limit. Give it a shot and let me know your thoughts on the result. 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes