Offer free shipping when particular product in cart

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi there

We're looking to use particular items to promote free shipping so if the client has 5 items in their cart and shipping is $8.00, we can offer a particular item at $14 but then give free shipping.  It wouldn't be based on $ amount, more so, as long as you add XX product to your cart with another item, you will get free shipping.

Is there a way to do this via Shopify native or add on app ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
794 41 122

Hi! 

Thanks for reaching out. My name is Ava, I'm one of Shopify's Gurus :)

One way you could do this would be by setting up weight based prices in your Shopify shipping settings. You could set all your other products to have regular weights as normal, but the product you would like to promote and offer free shipping with, you could set that to have a much higher weight.

So for example, if you set that product to weight 50kg, then set up a shipping rate of free shipping to orders over 50kg, that should allow you to offer free shipping on the whole order as long as the heavy product is added to the cart. So the product you want to promote will essentially weight down the order enough for it to qualify for free shipping. You can set the rate to look like this (https://screenshot.click/05-12-mwktq-6nd96.jpg)

You can also use apps like these for more custom shipping rates - 

* Better Shipping
 * Bespoke Shipping
 * Advanced Shipping Manager for Shopify
 * Upsell for Products – Buy X Get Y

Just bear in mind that you need real-time carrier shipping for these apps to work fully.

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help! 

Ava

Social Care Guru | support@shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Why then is there even an option to offer shipping based on a list of products...if it just gives free shipping to EVERYTHING in the cart if ONE of those listed products are in the cart.  Surely that has to be a bug.  Also a request.  On a discount rule, it would be great if we could add free shipping TO THE RULE, or we could offer free shipping per a collection....providing it does not do same as above and give it to every item in the cart.   

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
794 41 122

Hi @DGM1!

At the moment, you would be able to set per product shipping. The price of shipping that the customer sees at checkout can be determined by the names you give your shipping rates within your shipping profiles. If you have multiple rates, and more than one profile, it is best to give the rates within the profile the same name. Otherwise, the checkout will add together the cheapest rates and add that to the checkout. So for example, if you have one product in shipping profile A that has free shipping, then another product in shipping profile B that offers $5 shipping, the free shipping will show at checkout as it is the cheapest rate. I'll paste in an excerpt from our help docs below that will give a clearer view:

27-40-bc6gf-3i9qz

Are you offering free shipping on a lot of your products? How do you currently have your rates set up; do you have a separate profile for free products?

For the discount rates for free shipping, at the moment it is only possible to create a discount code for free shipping for specific countries or groups of customers. I do think allowing a discount code for free shipping per collection is a great idea though! I will submit this to our internal team to be reviewed as a possible future feature of the admin. As our platform is constantly growing and improving, our team love to get feedback from our merchants on what features/edits they need to improve their workflow. So once I submit this as a feature request on your behalf, our team can review the request. So hopefully, this can be something that is available in the future.

There is never a guarantee that a request will get a Green Light, or make it to a product launch, but we really do appreciate you reaching out with your suggestion, as I’m sure you’re not the only merchant with this request.

Let me know what you think!

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes