Offering Simplified Free Product Checkout

Highlighted
3 0 0

I have a free digital download that I offer on my site to entice traffic. One thing I want to do is make it so that my customers dont have to enter unnecessary information at checkout, such as their shipping/billing address and they also dont need the Paypal or other payment options (since the digital download is free).

Is there a way to create a simpler checkout process to use when someone's only downloading a free digital product?

All I really need/want is their e-mail address.

Thanks in advance! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 9 49

Hey, MWAWoodworks gang!

Morgan here from the Social media team at Shopify.

Thanks for reaching out. Awesome idea, this is a great way to lead customers to your site. It also builds brand loyalty and trust when you offer something to them for free for simply giving out their email.

I think the best way to go about this is slightly different than you had in mind. Instead of adding this as a product and "selling" it through your checkout, I recommend to set this up through your newsletter signup as an incentive for sharing their email.

For example, if you used this Email Before Download app, customers will see a popup that looks almost identical to a typical email signup link. However, they are then presented with a digital download after submitting their details.

Here's what the demo looks like if you wanted to give it a try.

Do you sell any other items on your store, or is your site informational based/just this digital download? If this was the only thing you needed the checkout for, you can actually disable your checkout now that you are offering the download via the newsletter form.

I recommend this because it will save you quite a decent amount of money as well. Our deactivated checkout plans (also known as a paused plan) is only $14USD/month rather than the starting cost of $29USD to enable the checkout. You can change this under Settings> Account> Pause store. However, this will only work if you don't have other products for sale. If you do, you will need to keep your checkout.

Lastly, do you have a link to your store handy? I'd love to check out what you guys sell and provide any feedback I can on your shop!

For anyone else reading this thread, have you increased traffic or obtained more customer emails by offering an E-book or digital download in return? Let us know!

Cheers,
Morgan | Shopify Social Care

Morgan | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

thanks for the ideas. I'll definitely be using those. However my shop will sell both premium (paid for) and free digital downloads as well as some physical goods. I just wanted a way for my customers to be able to get the free downloads without having to do something like provide a shipping address when they dont need to divulge that information to me. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 9 49

Not a problem! In that case leaving your shop how it is and just adding that app will be the best option. 

Let us know how it goes once you give it a try! 

All the best,

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

One question about that app. Can it be triggered when someone clicks on a specific item to download? For instance, if I offer multiple simple project plans for free download alongside my premium paid project plans, when they select one of the free ones, can they be presented with this email before download popup?

I guess an example of what I am asking is can that button that I clicked in the demo be on my product page and the download app can be connected to that specific product? And can I apply that to any free product in my shop?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
239 9 49

Hi, again! 

Great questions. I haven't explored all the capabilities of the app myself just yet. However, the third party developers are always available via email and are usually pretty great about hearing what exactly you need and how to accomplish it with their product. They may even be able to customize a few things for you. I recommend reaching out to the developers with these questions and see what they can come up with for you! It's definitely worth a shot. 

Here's the email if you wanted to give it a go: 
support@apps2grow.us

Cheers,

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

I tried to download app https://apps.shopify.com/email-before-download but it is unavailable,

what alternative you can offer if I have part of the products offered for free in my shop?

Br

0 Likes