One shipping cost when sending from multiple locations

Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 3

I have run into challenge that I am not able to figure out. I have a store with multiple locations. A customer is able to put two items in the cart that have stock from two locations. We use a flat shipping rate. When the rate is calculated it will double the shipping rate, since it is being sent from two locations.

Is there a way to get it to only use a single rate?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 3

As an example:

Customer orders Cup and Plate. The Cup is available in Location1 and Plate in Location2.

We have a flat shipping rate of $5. The customer will only pay $5 for both items.

As it stands today the customer will pay $10.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
50 0 3

Hi @Brando1,

With ShipperHQ, you can manage shipping rates from multiple warehouses or dropship vendors. You can automate which origin certain products are shipped from, based on the fewest number of origins, origin nearest to a customer or zone restrictions for a given location. 

You can also specify where a product is located, such as making all products available via all warehouses or only certain ones. The list goes on and on. You can read more about it on our blog here about multi-location shipping. 

The best way to figure out your shipping strategy is by connecting with our sales team. They would be happy to discuss further and have experience working with thousands of different retailers big or small. You can also sign up for a free 30-day trial and see how ShipperHQ works for yourself.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 3

Hey @AdanRamirez 

Thanks for the response. I will look into ShipperHQ. But at first glance it seems like paying $50/month is a steep price for what seems to be a simple problem.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

@Brando1,

Unfortunately, Shopify locations cause unexpected results like this. While you can technically only offer one location for shipping calculations at checkout, this can then cause errors in your fulfillment since the proper warehouses won't get the notification to fulfill. It's an unfortunate catch 22. 

An alternative to Shipper HQ is our app, Intuitive Shipping. We start at $29.99/mo and can do much more than just fill your current shipping gap; as your store scales and your shipping needs change, you can work with our team to implement the best shipping strategy for your store. One feature that will come in handy for you here since items will arrive in multiple shipments is creating custom shipping descriptions at checkout. In this instance, we recommend something like "Your order will arrive in multiple shipments". Without this additional touchpoint, your buyers can get confused and think you forgot to ship their other item(s), creating unnecessary customer service request. 

One thing to note is that Shopify requires merchants who are on the Basic or Shopify plan to add Third Party Carrier Rates.   It's essentially a switch in their backend that lets shipping apps "talk" to Shopify. This feature is $20/mo a-la-carte, or free if you switch to annual billing, which also saves you 10% on your Shopify subscription. You need to contact Shopify support to get this added - we've heard their chat is the fastest route for this. 

If you want to learn more about Intuitive Shipping,  I encourage you to book a call - we're always happy to help :)

Warm regards,
Sharon 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 3

Hey @Sharon-Reeds ,

I have just given Inuitive Shipping a shot. Unfortunately, after speaking with Paul at Intuitive, it doesn't solve my problem. Apparently Locations can't be used as basis for shipping scenarios in your app.(or any app?) After speaking with Paul it seems that Shopify doesn't send location data to apps.

He told me i could check out Bespoke Shipping as they code directly in the Shopify codebase.

1 Like
Highlighted

Hey @Brando1 ,

Thank you so much for following up! I had wanted to follow up with you after a team meeting earlier last week where we went over locations again, but I used my other (incorrect) Shopify Community account and couldn't find this post in it (I did feel crazy for a good while and wondered if I had actually commented :p). My apologies it took me a few days to get back to you here. 

Paul is correct that Bespoke is a good option to try for this if you are housing inventory in multiple locations. If you don't mind and have time, would you mind updating us whether Bespoke was able to do this?  I would like our team to be able to send merchants to a solution that works for this. 

Warm regards,

Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping
Execute a strategic approach to shipping | Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Hi, 

unfortunately, I don't have a solution. But I want to underline for developers, that this is a serious problem and we need to get it solved!

Hope, Shopify will provide a solution itself soon. This is a such a basic need. 

Johanna

0 Likes