Option for adding tracking for a fee at customer checkout

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi All!

This is my first post!  I have my shipping options set up for my online store.  I would like to add an option for the customer to add tracking to their order for a small fee.  What is the best way to do this?

My first thought was to add it as a shipping option, but you can only select one shipping method at checkout.  I would need them to be able to select their shipping method then add tracking.  I am really trying to avoid having a ton of shipment options, but for now that is the only way I can think of to do it.  Ex. Standard Shipping OR Standard Shipping with Tracking.  I'd like them to just choose Standard Shipping then have a checkbox to add tracking.

Thanks in advance!!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
87 16 21

Hi, @JamKitten!

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

The Online Store checkout customization will not allow us to add a checkbox option to each shipping rate, but there are some alternative options to consider for adding a charge to provide tracking:

1. Create manual shipping rates for each offer and assign costs accordingly. Here's an example of what the manual shipping rates could look like under Settings > Shipping:

23-03-10uey-kztw4

2. If you're using Shopify Shipping or carrier rates and cannot use manual rates as a result, you can try using one of the apps for product options or apps for upselling to allow customers to select tracking as an add-on item for their order. Some of the upsell apps (like Order & Product Fees or Upsells ‑ Gift Wraps & More) can display add-ons on the cart page instead of the product page.

Can you tell me a bit more about the shipping settings you currently have in your store? That way I can look into more tailored options for your business if the ones listed above don't work for you. And of course, I'm happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi Sophia,

Thank you for your response.  That is basically what I ended up doing.  I was hoping for the checkbox to avoid having double the amount of shipping rates.  Since we don't have many, it's not too bad.  We felt the customer's checkout experience would be better if they don't have too many shipping choices, and just one option to add tracking.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
87 16 21

Hey, @JamKitten.

I appreciate that feedback and I'll pass it along to the appropriate teams here in case it's a feature we can include in the future. Do you have any examples of other online store checkouts that had the checkbox for tracking? If so, I can include those examples when I submit the feedback to our teams.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes