Order flagged for high risk of fraud but no other indicators flagged.

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Hello,

I had an order placed today that was flagged for high risk although I am a bit perplexed since no other indicators are flagged. It looks like everything seems to be legitimate.

I did call the customer and he answered, confirmed his name, his shipping and billing address and the last 4 digits of his card. Why would this be flagged as high risk? Should I accept the order?

The conversion summary did say they found me from an organic search result on Bing and bought on their first session. Is this why it was flagged? I guess no one really uses Bing. Need some guidance on this. Thanks in advance!

aandhtc45_0-1605039332170.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
133 5 19

Hi @aandhtc45 

There is no real answer to whether or not you should process this order. The reason being is that the Shopify Fraud analysis just serves as a warning system and that it can often mis-flag some orders. It's not an entirely accurate system since the customer could as well be legitimate or be potentially fraudulent.

I'd say that since you made the phone call and the customer answered, then you are most likely ok. If it's a relatively high valued item, I would suggest you ship it using a signature confirmation for an extra safety net just in case you receive a chargeback. Keep all your documents on record and be aware of the same customer making repeat purchases within a short amount of time.

I hope this helps you a bit and feel free to ask questions that I might help you with regarding fraud orders.

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon. https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Hey thanks for the response.

I was still a bit wary so I emailed the customer for additional verification to send a photo of their credit card with only their name and last 4 digits shown and to black out the rest.

They didn't feel comfortable doing that and asked to cancel the order. I feel like I dodged a bullet though.

0 Likes